Gemologist Technician at Ngali Mining: (Deadline 14 October 2020)
1. BACKGROUND INFORMATION
The mining sector is a significant contributor to economic growth in Rwanda. It has considerable potential to help reduce poverty and accelerate human development, through increasing government and community revenues, generating employment, and providing physical and human infrastructure.
It is in this framework that NML needs qualified and experienced personnel in the field of gemstones as a gemologist Technician
Ngali Mining Limited is a Private Limited Company registered in November 2015 under the Rwandan law, fully owned by NGALI Holdings and the latter being a public-owned enterprise. NML was created for investment purposes and improving the Mining service delivery basing on best practices internationally accepted. One of NML missions is to provide mineral exploration, evaluation, and exploitation/mining services in the whole country and beyond. Since 2015, NML undertook various geoscientific surveys and helped delineate and map mining prospects. NML has a broad range of expertise in geology, geophysical methods of exploration, and geochemical analysis of samples. It owns different concessions/licenses for exploration and mining of gold and gemstones (amethyst, sapphire, etc…)
2. EXPECTED OUTCOMES AND DELIVERABLES
Overall Job Description.
Carry out fieldwork, study rare Gems and stones and find out rare properties, organize local Gemstone artisan miners, and facilitate to adopt appropriate Gemstone mining methods and processing equipment identification and mines planning besides Gem sorting and marketing works.
- Examines gemstones, like Amethyst, sapphires, and rubies, etc.., to evaluate their genuineness, quality, and value, utilizing knowledge of gems market valuations.
- Examines gem surfaces internal structure, using polariscope, refractometer, microscope, and other optical instruments, to differentiate between stones, identify rare specimens, or to detect flaws, defects, or peculiarities affecting gem values.
- Immerses stones in prescribed chemical solutions for defining specific gravities key properties of gemstones or substitutes, which indicate physical characteristics of stone for gem identification, quality determination, and for appraisal.
- Grades stones for color, perfection, and quality of cut. Marketing of Gemstones
- Estimates wholesale retail value of gems, following pricing guides, market fluctuations, and various economic changes that affect the distribution of precious stones.
- May advise customers others in the use of gems to create attractive jewelry items.
- Work with the local geology experts and mining Engineers on developing drilling and exploration plans to determine potential mining targets/sites.
- On-job training for the local staffs;
- Develop operations procedures, receive daily/weekly field reports from all teams and compile them;
- Biweekly progress reports and regular updates to the Director of Operations Office of Ngali Mining Limited (NML)
3. DURATION OF THE WORK
The duration of the assignment is for one year, full time in Rwanda. There is a high possibility of a contract extension.
4. DUTY STATION
The duty station for this job is on mine sites and at Kigali during market review and management meetings. The field works are on different sites.
The Gemologist Technician must demonstrate the following skills:
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Conduct his/her tasks with diligence and fidelity the responsibilities and missions;
- Dedicate the whole of his availability to the service of “contractor” for the execution of his/her functions, missions, and responsibilities
- Excellent communication, analysis, and writing skills.
- The English language is required. French is a plus;
6. ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- The candidate should hold at least a Bachelor’s degree with At least 3 years of working experience in the Gemstone industry and highly implicated in sapphires and Amethyst. Or
- The candidate should hold at least an advanced diploma/certificate in Gemology related fields and 5-10 years of experience in the field of gemstones.
A candidate with additional knowledge in Gemstone value addition/or gemstones Geology and computer associated tools is an asset.
7. EVALUATION CRITERIA
The evaluation criteria of the candidate will be based on the information provided in the CV and the relevant documents submitted as evidence to support the possession of the above-required criteria.
8. SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- Letter of interest and availability specifying the available date to start and other details;
- Three (2) most recent professional references ( institution or individual)
- A brief methodology on how you will approach and conduct the work;
- Financial Proposal specifying the monthly rate and other expenses, if any;
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Queries about this job advertisement can be directed to the Director of Corporate services ([email protected])
The deadline to submit the applications, CVs, Qualifications documents, and other requested information is on 14th October 2020 at 4 pm.
All documents should be sent to [email protected]
Signed and approved by
Ngali Mining Ltd