Head, Education Portfolio Management at Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD): (Deadline 19 November 2020)
The Development Bank of Rwanda is Rwanda’s only National Development Bank mandated to support Rwanda’s development goals. Over the last years, the bank has undergone substantial re-organization aimed at positioning it as an “innovative and sustainable provider of development finance for socio-economic impact”.
In order to achieve this vision, the bank’s new strategic plan (2018-2024) has outlined 3 key strategic themes;
- Operational Excellence: Continuous improvement of our credit and risk management system, financial performance, and customer services.
- Strategic Partnerships: Forming strategic partnerships to deliver our mandate is a key component of our core activities.
- Dynamic Culture: Continuously improving our pool of knowledge to have the most competent and skilled employees.
To help accomplish this ambitious and exciting vision, the Development Bank of Rwanda (BRD) would like to recruit suitably qualified staff to fill the position of Head of Education Portfolio Management.
BRD is committed to respecting gender equality and disability norms. We promote gender-responsive practices. and encourage qualified candidates particularly females and persons living with disabilities to apply.
Head, Education Portfolio Management
Department: Education Portfolio Management
Job Level: 3
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
- Disbursement Manager
- Recoveries Manager
- Accounting Officer
- Customer Experience Officers
- IT Database Administrator
- Disbursement Officers
- Recoveries Officers
Purpose of the Job
Main Responsibilities of the Job
- Develop and implement a strategy that seeks to efficiently and effectively administer the Education Portfolio fund, delivering against the government mandate
- Develop policies, procedures, and processes that seek to deliver compliance, efficiency, and effectiveness in the disbursement and recoveries operations
- Lead the automation of the recoveries and automation process to create the efficiency required in addressing the risks associated with managing the fund
- Establish and nurture the partnerships required to deliver the education fund, ensuring BRD leverages fully on the relationships
- Develop and implement a data management strategy that seeks to support the successful delivery of the BRD mandate on education portfolio management
- Develop the budget requirements for the education portfolio management, ensuring timely allocation of funding required to deliver against the unit strategy
- Champion the day to day implementation of the disbursement and recoveries strategies, putting in place plans and approaches that deliver efficiency and effectiveness in the process
- Supervise the student contract processes through ensuring that all eligible students are duly contained in the system and required contacts are enabled with students to sign their contracts which are to be used in the payments and recovery process
- Approve payments to students in Rwanda and abroad through carefully verifying if controls in place have been followed and verify the accuracy of the payment lists to enable timely payment of eligible students
- Plan for and monitor the execution of field visits to employers and loan beneficiaries through working with Officers on the field to increase and enforce student loan recovery
- Approve monthly loan deduction schedules through verification on calculations used in arriving to the billed amount to enable the repayment of student loans by the loan beneficiaries.
- Analyze data on mature student loan recovery through comparison of various datasets to come up with a usable loan beneficiary list to have clean data in the system
- Work on disbursement and recovery reports by reviewing planned activities and periodic achievements made in order to inform management of the Bank and key Stakeholders on the achievements of targets.
- Verify financial information compiled on student loan disbursement and recovery through analysis of disbursements and recovery data in order to have timely and accurate financial reports to Management
- In liaison with the Marketing team, communicate with the public through various media outlets to create an increased public awareness of the student loan scheme to enable increased recovery.
- Safeguard the usage of public funds related to student loans and bursaries through advising Management on adequate functional controls to avoid any mismanagement of the funds.
- Follow-up on claims from students that fail to receive their living allowances in time through identifying the root causes and facilitating in addressing the issues to enable students’ receipt of their allowances
- Provide strategic support to the functioning of systems including the MIS through advising key areas to be improved to enable the system to serve its purpose.
- Supervise staff in the Department through verification on the execution of their daily activities so that areas of improvement can be identified in time to enable adequate value creation.
- Collaborate with Partners of the Bank on the student loan scheme through requesting for data or providing data so that lists of eligible students or lists of past loan beneficiaries are received and used in a timely manner
- Follow-up on allocated education investment projects through timely field visits so that timely reports can be made to Management on the financial health of the projects
- Perform any other assignment delegated by the CEO
1. Performance indicators
- Approved strategies in disbursements and recoveries, with supporting implementation plans
- Approved policies, procedures, and processes for the disbursement and recoveries functions
- Full compliance by the department with the guidelines both internal and external
- Achievement of disbursement and recoveries processes/ targets
- Established partnerships, with demonstrated value addition to BRD and students
- Feedback from partners on the quality of engagements with BRD
- Availability of systems that support the disbursement and recoveries processes
- Availability of competencies required to deliver on the disbursement and recoveries strategies
- Timeliness in the submission of quality reports to both internal and external stakeholders
- Achievement of disbursement and recoveries targets
- Timeliness in addressing stakeholders’ queries
- Sustainability of the Education Portfolio fund
- Contribution towards the government agenda on education funding
2. Working relationships
- Heads of departments
- Board of Directors
- Government institutions (MINEDUC, MINCOFIN, RISA, etc.)
- External partners and associations (WB, AAHEFA, etc.) Banks
3. Professional, academic qualifications and experience
- Master’s Degree or bachelor’s degree in finance/Accounting/Business Administration/Management or any other related field
- Certified Accounting Certificate such as ACCA, CPA will be an added advantage
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience (preferably in finance and/or project implementation), two (2) of which must be in a senior management level in driving strategies.
- Experience in statutory fund recovery and audit of statutory deductions (e.g taxes, pension contribution) will be an added advantage.
4. Core competencies
- Portfolio Management
- Financial Control and Budgeting
- Risk Management
- Research and Development
- Project Implementation
- Stakeholder relationship management
- Financial management and reporting
- Data Analytics
Interested candidates should apply online (https://www.brd.rw/careers/) and upload application documents including Curriculum Vitae, copies of degree certificates and professional certificates, motivation letter, names of three previous supervisors (as one document) as well as their emails and telephone.
Only online applications shall be considered.
Email-only for inquiries (not application): [email protected]
Address all applications to the Head, Human Capital, and Corporate Services of the Development Bank of Rwanda.
Deadline for application: Monday, November 30, 2020.
The employment package is highly competitive/attractive.
Only Candidates with the right qualifications and relevant experience shall be shortlisted and contacted for interviews.
Done in Kigali, November 19, 2020
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY