Livestock Farmer Field School Technician at Heifer International: (Deadline Open until filled)
Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Livestock Farmer Field School Master trainer shall be responsible for day to day implementation of the project activities within the district. Specifically, s/he will be at the front line for the implementation of the Value Based Holistic Community Development “VBHCD” approach. S/he will be trained as a ToT to offer social capital trainings and technical trainings as well as project supported extensions services to project beneficiaries. S/he will facilitate the formation and strengthening of SHG and facilitate farmer learning in Livestock Farmer Field Schools “L-FFS (Livestock Farmer Field School Technician)”.
ESSENTIAL CHARACTER TRAITS
Respect, accountability, excellence, hardworking, interpersonal skills and proactive, problem-solving, Humility, Flexibility, Enthusiasm, Dependability, Creativity, Physically fit and Team player.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Farmers organization, farmer’s capacity building and project reporting (35%)
- Facilitate SHG formation and FFS establishment
- Strengthening SHGs through social capital orientation and provision of technical services
- Prepare and deliver trainings on improved Animal Management through the farmer field school approach (Calf to Calf training approach)
- Ensure record keeping by farmers
- Organize and conduct farmer study tours where necessary
- Carryout the mobilization of farmers into Dairy farming groups and cooperatives.
- Ensure timely delivery of livestock training activities (pre and post livestock placements) up to the end of the project lifetime. Train dairy cooperatives on leadership and governance and establishment of governance and management structures
- Carry out PD, Identify and register and tag calves borne to AI
- Provide monthly progress report
- Any other job-related tasks assigned by the line manager
B. Facilitate provision of project services and placement of physical inputs (35%)
- Shall participate in the selection, evaluation and confirmation of Girinka beneficiaries in collaboration with the local authorities
- Shall participate in the livestock selection, identification, transportation and distribution.
- Make regular visits to the beneficiary location and advise on the construction of cattle sheds.
- Ensure quality animals are selected for placement,
- Collaborate with local partners to inspect and validate the list of beneficiaries,
- Supervise on the construction of standard individual and communal cowsheds in the area,
- Keep records of beneficiaries (hard and soft) (OG and PoG) to provide evidence of work done whenever needed,
- Ensure timely delivery of livestock and other physical inputs
C. Provision of veterinary, extension and advisory services to project beneficiaries (25%)
- Conduct Artificial Insemination and synchronization, mobile clinic and pasture development of dairy cattle in the area of operations
- Mobilize farmers on risk management including livestock insurance
- Promote climate resilient best practices and investments at famer level
- Create synergies with local AH, AI and extension service providers to maintain disease free stock of animals distributed by RDDP project,
- Provide breeding and Animal Health services to the beneficiaries and report the number of AI performed and number of offspring born annually up to the end of the project.
- Conducting regular ambulatory clinics (Preventive and curative measures) up to the end of the project life time,
- Conduct regular households visits to advise farmers on needed improvements as far as IAM is concerned
- Sensitize beneficiaries on sustainable management of natural resources.
D. May perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree in Veterinary Medicine plus a minimum of at least three (3) years’ working experience in the Dairy Sector of which, at least 2 years implementing Dairy related projects in Rwanda.
- Must also possess a valid driving license A category.
- Bachelor’s degree in the fields of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Production, and Rural Development of other related fields, plus five (5) years’ working experience in the Dairy Sector of which, at least 2 years implementing Dairy related projects in Rwanda.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and innovate within the dairy industry.
- Demonstrate experience in conducting business, investment analyses and capital budgeting and sufficient evidence on how the results were used to develop potentially viable business ideas and subsequently tangible businesses.
- Demonstrate project report writing and donor reporting experience.
- Demonstrate experience in project management including donor project budgets management.
MOST CRITICAL PROFICIENCIES
- Good understanding of the different agricultural commodity value chains in general and dairy value chain in particular.
- Practical experience in Artificial Insemination services, animal health and nutrition is a credit.
- Experience in milk handling, storage and transportation.
- Experience working with women and men smallholder farmers.
- Strong leadership, teamwork, mentoring and coaching skills.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven track record in generating innovative solutions in work situations; utilizing different and novel ways to deal with work problems and address opportunities.
- Fluent in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Experience in farming, crops and livestock is also needed.
- Proven knowledge and skills on training and working with adults.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality,
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity,
- Willingness to travel extensively and using a motorcycle as main mean of transport for work-related activities,
- Ability to work independently,
- Willingness and ability to work with a flexible schedule,
- Sensitivity in working with multiple cultures, beliefs, and Gender Equality