Monitoring and Evaluation Officer at Inspire Educate and Empower Rwanda (IEE Rwanda): (Deadline 31 August 2020)
Inspire, Educate, and Empower Rwanda (IEE) is a Rwandan local Education Not-For-Profit Non-Governmental Organization (NGO). Since 2005, in collaboration with partners, IEE has complemented efforts of the Ministry of Education/ Rwanda Education Board, contributing to educational implementation. IEE designs and delivers innovative programmes to address challenges to provision of quality education.
IEE programmes range from teacher development training and technical assistance, teaching and learning, curriculum and material development, research and evaluation, education policies and systems reform.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Among other roles, the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager. He/ he will be responsible for the design, coordination, and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning framework of Projects. He/she will develop a systematic monitoring framework to improve the qualitative and quantitative evidence gathered by Projects.
Summary of key accountabilities
- Contribution to the development and implementation of results-based monitoring, evaluation, and reporting system with detailed guidelines for its implementation.
- Supporting outcome/impact and evaluation studies on programmes
- Supporting Planning, Management, Reporting, and data analysis together with developing and implementing comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Strategy for Projects.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation.
Key accountabilities include:
Contribution to the development and implementation of results-based monitoring, evaluation, and reporting system with detailed guidelines for its implementation.
Support development and implementation of an effective result-based M&E system including tools and techniques in collaboration with Programme teams and ensure that M&E systems and procedures are well-integrated with programme requirements, and funder systems and procedures.
Generate convincing evidence of project impact for policymakers, donors, government officials, and other stakeholders.
Monitor all project activities and progress towards achieving the programme output.
Suggest strategies to the Programme Management team for improving the efficiency and effectiveness of programmes by identifying bottlenecks in completing activities and developing plans to minimize or eliminate such bottlenecks
Prepare quality monitoring and evaluation reports highlighting programme progress and share with programme staff with recommendations for further improvement.
Supporting outcome/impact and evaluation studies on programmes.
Support the M&E Manager on the Monitoring and Evaluation component, to identify delivery issues of the component and ensure effective coordination of the component activities for quality and consistency.
Participate in the identification of research and M&E priorities and including these in annual plans.
Support, organize, facilitate different research/evaluation (performance evaluation, baseline, mid-term evaluation, final evaluation, etc.) using both qualitative and quantitative methods.
Support development of Terms of Reference (ToR) for hiring consulting firms following procedure and coordinate researches and studies.
Ensure quality of study reports prepared by consulting firms by providing technical inputs and ensuring compliance of studies with respective ToR and share the findings with different stakeholders.
Supporting Planning, Management, Reporting, and data analysis together with developing and implementing comprehensive Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Strategy for Projects
Support preparation of annual and multiyear plans and budgets for M&E and coordinate in preparing overall programme activity monitoring.
Prepare Key Result Reports, Annual Result Reports, Quarterly & Annual Progress, and M&E reports for programme donors following their respective guidelines.
Participate in Annual Project Reviews and Planning workshops organized by IEE and assist Programme Managers in preparing materials for workshops.
Organize and facilitate M&E trainings and workshops including preparation of concept notes and development of training materials, training schedules, etc;
Support the development of capacities of project staff and partners to conduct M&E activities using project monitoring frameworks.
- Analyze case related/thematic data along with capacity and awareness-raising data in coordination with different components of projects.
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation.
- Identification and documentation of success stories, achievements, lessons learned and document recommendations to be integrated into broader IEE knowledge management efforts.
- Compile and disseminate information extracted from all available information management systems to Project Management and other stakeholders as needed.
- Identify and formulate lessons learned from evaluations and studies to be integrated into broader knowledge management, planning and strategies.
- Collaboration and coordination with M&E Officer and Programme Managers on monitoring and evaluation issues.
- Organization and conducting results-oriented trainings in relevant Programme areas.
Other key responsibilities:
- Design and implement projects’ Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Plans.
- Establish robust data collection, management, and reporting systems for programmes.
- Ensure project progress against targets is regularly tracked and evaluate project success in achieving objectives and goals.
- Regularly report results and data to IEE Management and donors through narrative reports.
- Ensure data quality through data quality assessments, data cleaning, verification, and validation.
- Oversee all data collection efforts, including evaluation, surveys, assessments, and all qualitative and quantitative studies.
- Plan and coordinate regular field monitoring visits.
- Any other responsibilities as requested by IEE Management.
- Good knowledge of programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation techniques, and practices.
- Familiarity with impact assessment an advantage
- Good moderation, facilitation, and training skills.
- Ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the formulation, administration, and evaluation of projects.Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to work in a team and good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to build on relevant knowledge within and outside IEE as well as actively share her/his experience and expertise with colleagues and partners.
- Ability to work independently with minimum or no supervision.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in diversified environments.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities and the ability to multi-task under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrates strong administrative skills and results-oriented approach to work
- Ability to think quickly and improvise when necessary.
- Creative self-starter with an ability to work independently and also as an integral part of a team to deliver results.
- Focuses on results and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Shares knowledge and experiences with colleagues and stakeholders.
- Seeks and applies knowledge, information, and best practices from within and outside IEE.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan, and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to effectively support in strategic planning, results-based management, and reporting.
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- Ability to plan and organize work accordingly.
- Ability to work with no or minimum supervision.
- Strong computer skills with a knowledge of many desktop applications that will be useful for the position, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint e-mail, and data analysis software packages like SPSS, Stata, and R.
Required Qualifications, Experience, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s in statistics, M&E, social sciences, project management, public policy, international development, economics, or related field..
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in an M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities of Government, NGO or international development projects.
- Experience in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages
- Experience in designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of the major evaluation methodologies (e.g. qualitative, quantitative, mixed-method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
- Experience in managing and providing training to partners and target beneficiaries.
- Ability to facilitate and serve as a project liaison for externally-managed evaluations.
Other desirable skills and competencies:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Kinyarwanda.
- Able to analyze and evaluate complex information, including statistics.
- Able to analyze and respond to external developments and identify issues speedily and effectively.
- Ability to clearly accurately articulate complex information to a wide range of audiences. Excellent written and oral presentation skills, with the ability to engage, inspire, build credibility, and engender trust with diverse audiences.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrable supervisory experience.
- Ability to enthuse and engage a diverse range of stakeholders internally and externally.
- Time management skills, project management skills, and organizational skills. The ability to meet deadlines is essential.
- Ability to research and quickly disseminate relevant, emerging and existing evidence-based practices and models
- Proven experience in programme management.
- Proven stakeholder management skills.
- Proven experience managing a team.
- Demonstrable skills and experience in project leadership, producing policy papers or equivalent with a proven ability to synthesize large amounts of information into concise reports.
- Strong project management experience including planning, initiating, and delivering new initiatives within agreed time scales.
- Demonstrable skills and experience in securing involvement of internal and external stakeholders, planning and facilitating consultation exercises, interviews, or fact-finding meetings which result in all relevant information being collected within a limited timeframe.
- Good presenter with experience of presenting complex ideas to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- Able to work flexibly as part of a small team and to work independently.
- Good IT skills including proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Trustworthy, ethical, and authentic in all situations.
- Extremely well-organized multi-tasker.
- Self-motivated, ambitious, goal-oriented.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, and CV including names of at least 4 position-relevant referees with scanned copies of certificates/diplomas, to The Country Director, Inspire Educate and Empower Rwanda (IEE) at [email protected] on or before the closing date of August 31, 2020.
Please place “Monitoring and Evaluation Officer” in the subject line of the email when applying.
*Not heeding to this instruction will lead to disqualification.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
No late application or telephone inquiries will be considered.
IEE upholds the commitment to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, gender, or religion and without discrimination of persons with disabilities.