Nutritionist Assistant at Alight: (Deadline 19 August 2020)
ALIGHT presently works in and with partners in seventeen countries globally. ALIGHT has consistently operated in Rwanda since the year 1994, and today has a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full-time staff, community mobilizers, and incentive workers– implementing programs in Primary Health Care, Reproductive Health, HIV and Nutrition; also Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Shelter and general Infrastructure, Livelihoods/Economic strengthening, and Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Prevention/ Protection. Our work in Rwanda currently covers all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. And we are always looking to expand and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve! ALIGHT is looking for a qualified, self-driven, and committed individual to join its team full time as a Nutritionist assistant in one of the field sites (refugee camps) where ALIGHT has active operations.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Based at the refugee campsite level, the Nutrition Assistant is responsible for ensuring proper warm balanced meal provision to new mothers and babies, supplemental food distribution, and the nutrition education and counseling of beneficiaries especially pregnant and lactating mothers through home visits and group education activities.
- Assess and monitor nutrition status of customers especially new Mothers and babies;
- Analyze anthropodermic measurements taken using standardized tools and provide appropriate nutrition counseling in consultation with nutrition and health team in the health centre;
- Ensure that a warm and balanced meal is provided to each new mother three times a day until discharge from maternity;
- Ensure that every new mother is counseled on Maternal, Infant and Young Child Feeding (MIYCF) practices before discharge;
- Help customers by increasing their knowledge in understanding different practices affecting nutrition status specifically of pregnant, lactating women as well as children;
- Equip caregivers with the basic knowledge and skills for them to be able to optimize Maternally, Infant and Young Child Feeding (MIYCF) practices;
- Participate in food distribution to beneficiaries according to protocols in place;
- Ensure the proper use of warm project supplies;
- Ensure the proper use of supplementary food through home visits;
- Provide nutritional education to beneficiaries, their families, caretakers, and provide them with accurate information about the nutrition, culinary demonstration, services, options, and other resources;
- Promote and support exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to caregivers;
- Maintain current and accurate clients’ records as directed, collect and report relevant data about services provided, and prepare statistical reports as required;
- Maintain clients’ confidentiality;
- Organize and carry-out home visits in camp living quarters;
- Collaborate with other ARC departments, and Health Centre as necessary;
- Present and listen to other health staff comments and ideas in self-assessment of clinical skills and challenges;
- Report to the Nutrition Coordinator for help in case there is any problem;
- Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor, or any other ARC Senior Manager.
Required skills and Experience
- Ao Degree in human nutrition and dietetics;
- Relevant training in nutrition, food and diets or experience in supplementary or therapeutic feeding programs is an added advantage;
- 1-year experience in nutrition activities, having worked in a refugee setting is a plus;
- Good communication skills Kinyarwanda and English;
- Having a valid license from Rwanda allied health professional Council is a must;
Key Behaviors and Abilities
- Ability to create self-reliance among Customers;
- Must have cross-cultural and strong interpersonal skills to work with refugees and vulnerable persons;
- Ability to work in a high paced, demanding environment;
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality;
- Deep knowledge of Nutritionist protocols, standards, and procedures;
- Outgoing personality with good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team;
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit 1page Cover letter, an updated CV (maximum three pages) and names, title, and contacts of three professional referees, to include most current employer/supervisor (all in/as one document) – via email only to: [email protected] with the POSITION applied for clearly indicated in the subject line. The deadline for submission of applications is August 19th, 2020 at 16:00hrs. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Females are encouraged to apply.
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.