Regional Compliance and Transparency Manager at Acted – Kampala
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
ACTED in Uganda is committed to supporting the development of climate-sensitive livelihood activities, with a primary focus on agricultural activities throughout the Karamoja region and Northern Uganda. ACTED Uganda’s actions aim to enhance resilience through climate sensing and community engagement and to support agricultural livelihoods. In 2017, ACTED opened its operations in the West Nile region to meet the needs of the refugee populations in the region.
You will be in charge of
1.Internal Audit management
Implement the approved regional internal audit plan: conduct and supervise internal audit missions through a risk management approach
Implement the Regional audit plan
- In consultation with the Audit Director draft the Annual Regional Audit Plan;
- Link with the Country Directors to ensure the availability of their team;
- Re-evaluate and update the regional audit plan on a regular basis to ensure a priority risk approach.
Review the Country audit plans and supervise their implementation
- Depending on the country audit departments’ set-up, internal audit missions may be conducted by the country audit team at the capital and area level. Review and follow-up the implementation of the country audit plans by organizing regular calls with the Country Director.
- Conduct regional Internal audit missions and supervise the country internal audit missions conducted by the Deputy to the Regional Transparency and Compliance Technical Coordinator:
- In consultation with the Audit Director and the Country director, define the scope and the objectives before conducting any country audit mission(s);
- Different types of audits may be conducted: process audit, project audit, specific audit fraud investigation, etc. both at the capital and at the area levels;
- Send the approved terms of references to the country team before the mission;
- Review the ToRs of Regional audit missions conducted by the Deputy to the Regional Risk and Compliance Technical Coordinator before HQ validation;
- Once reviewed by the Country Director and in link with the HQ Audit Department, review and approve the ToRs of country internal audit missions to be conducted by the FLAT Compliance Officers.
- Organize and conduct country audit missions in link with the Audit Director, according to the Regional Audit Plan and the ACTED internal audit methodology;
- Ensure compliance of ACTED’s standard procedures for all management cycles, anticipate and mitigate compliance and external audit risks ensuring operations are run (i) in compliance with ACTED’s and donors’ procedures and legal requirements and (ii) in a cost-efficient manner;
- Suggest measures for mitigating such risks for consideration by the HQ Audit Director, discuss the main findings and recommendations with the HQ Audit Director during the mission;
- Internal coordination: facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing for a positive working environment
- Draft an action plan to be discussed with the country director during the debriefing session.
- Supervise the Regional audit missions conducted by the Deputy to the Regional Risk and Compliance Technical Coordinator (organize calls during the mission, identify the key issues, discuss the high risk findings)
- Supervise the Country internal audit missions conducted by the FLAT Compliance Officers.
- Send the drafted audit reports for HQ approval within one week after the audit – including findings, analysis, recommendations and the proposed action plan during the debriefing session with the Country Director;
- Send the approved audit report to the country team.
- Review the Regional audit reports drafted by the Deputy to the Regional Risk and Compliance Technical Coordinator before HQ validation;
- Once reviewed by the Country Director and in link with the HQ Audit Department, review and approve the country internal audit missions conducted by the FLAT Compliance Officers.
Ensure the recommendation follow-up
- Oversee the implementation of any recommendations discussed and agreed with the regional/ country management team and the ACTED Audit Director;
- Organize a monthly call with the Country Director to reevaluate the action plan and discuss the issues in implementing the recommendation in a timely manner;
- Update the risk evaluation based on the recommendation follow-up.
Ensure the implementation of the ACTED standard FLAT System in the Region
- Make sure ACTED standard FLAT system is implemented in the relevant ACTED mission of the Region;
- Control the monthly flow of documentation from the Areas and Partners to the Capital office.
- Upon request of the HQ Audit department, review the Monthly Compliance Report (FLA 04) and the Audit TITANIC sent by the Compliance team
Control the compliance with country rules and regulations
- Follow-up litigation cases (staff, suppliers, etc.) of the Region in link with Country Directors and HQ Audit Director;
- National and local legislation follow-up: in link with the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director, make sure that the national and local legislation is well followed (tax exemption, social security, labour law etc.);
- Tax/VAT exemption follow-up: in link with the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director, make sure that ACTED complies with tax laws and that tax/VAT exemptions are requested in a timely manner.
Provide support to mitigate the high risks identified
- Provide technical support to the Finance, Logistics, Admin, Audit and Programme departments and participate to the action plan implementation to mitigate the risks identified in 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 upon request of the HQ Audit, Legal and Transparency Direction.
2. External audit: ensure the regional strategical external audits and the due diligences preparation and follow up
In close collaboration with the HQ Audit Department, the Country Finance Manager and the Country Director:
- Ensure the preparation of strategical external audits and due diligences;
- Review and approve the draft of the External Audit preparation (AUD-01);
- Train the implementing partners / country/area staff to the external audit preparation;
- Facilitate and coordinate the audit, organize the kick off and close out meetings of each external audit;
- Review ACTED Management responses to the audit report sent by the Country Director, to be then approved by the HQ Audit Department. Follow-up the reception of the signed audit report;
- Ensure the update and implementation of the External Audit Recommendations follow up (AUD-02);
- When relevant to a project or a country, provide technical support to select external audit companies.
3. Training sessions / lessons learnt/ best practices
Capacity building and Training
- During the audit mission, when a gap in know-how or a need for clarifications are identified, provide practical training on specific areas of ACTED procedures.
- Together with Country Directors, Regional Directors and the Audit Director, identify the training needs of international /national staff or implementing partners, discuss plans with the coordination and HR for both internal and external trainings, and implement them according to Audit strategic and operational priorities;
- Coach, train, and mentor Audit staff in the region with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the Audit team and providing professional development guidance.
- Contribute to proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through audit activities (internal and external audits) among international and national staff;
- Organize and facilitate learning events in order to capture best practices and lessons learnt when an external/internal audit is done or as required;
- Document and share the lessons learnt and best practices on time and ensure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of ACTED’s compliance.
- Reinforce current procedures and the quality of ACTED internal control, based on international best practices, donors’ requirements, lessons learnt and results of internal & external audits;
- Upon request from the Audit Director, participate to the drafting of specific policies.
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATS procedures, ACTED Code of Conduct and ACTED Anti-Fraud Policy;
- Manage Fraud cases in close relation to the Country Directors and ACTED Audit Director;
- Ensure that staff is aware of ACTED’s transparency and whistle blowing policy.;
- Ensure the Fraud Register (FRA-04) of the region are well maintained and updated;
5. Audit team leadership
- Participate in identifying staffing needs with Country Coordination and Audit Director
- Upon request, Conduct Audit and Compliance recruitments & appraisals; train & build capacities of the Compliance staff in country; identify staff with potential, and contribute to internal mobility strategy;
- Ensure training and capacity building for the Compliance team members in order to increase the level of technical ability and skills within the department
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics among Audit staff in the region;
- Ensure that the Audit teams in the region retain all that is distinctive about ACTED including the organizations values and beliefs, global identity, coherence and consistency, and independence and impartiality.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Warn the HQ Audit Director in case some major problems arise with a potential financial or reputational impact on the country.
- Provide technical and operational support to the Finance, Logistics, Admin, Audit and Programme departments upon request of the HQ Directors (in the framework of emergency missions, transitions, or interim).
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Postgraduate diploma in Finance/ Audit or International Relations
- 3-4 years previous work experience in a relevant position
- Experience in Finance, Logistique, Administration
- Proven capabilities in leadership and management required
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills, and flexibility in cultural and organizational terms
- Ability to work well and under pressure
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org