Safety & Security Officer at Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA): (Deadline 14 November 2020)
Safety & Security Officer
The Rwanda Institute for Conservation Agriculture (RICA) is a unique and innovative English language undergraduate institution dedicated to preparing the next generation of agricultural leaders of Rwanda and East Africa. Students at RICA will engage in curricular and co‐curricular learning opportunities emphasizing Conservation Agriculture and One Health principles, oral and written communication, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
In an experiential learning environment, students will develop the knowledge and experience necessary for a wide range of careers in agriculture. Students at RICA will experience the six Enterprises including Beef Cattle and Small Ruminants, Dairy, Poultry and Swine, Row and Forage Crops, Vegetable, and Tree Crops, Irrigation and Mechanization. The curriculum is designed to incorporate threads of Innovation, Conservation, OneHealth Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship. Communication, One Health Systems Thinking, and Entrepreneurship are woven throughout the curriculum. All RICA graduates will be innovative problem solvers able to operate farms and ranches, start agribusinesses, assume management roles in cooperatives, NGOs, and other agricultural enterprises, serve their communities as extension agents and technical and policy experts or assume positions of agricultural leadership in Rwanda.
We are seeking a Safety & Security Officer to manage the safety & security of campus assets and personnel. The Safety & Security Officer will work within the Facilities Department to contribute to the smooth running of the Campus facilities, reporting to the Safety & Security Manager.
- Supervise, train and manage 24-hour building security guards and security supervisors (or manage sub-contracted security team personnel) to patrol and protect campus facilities.
- Partner with the Safety & Security Manager in leading and executing all safety and security protocols of the RICA campus and surrounding spaces related to campus life.
- Assist in overseeing key access, CCTV operations, and any other access control systems, including monitoring and reviewing cameras, tracking, and evaluating incident reports.
- Conduct interior and exterior building patrols and on-the-spot post inspections to ensure staff is adhering to policy and standards and all building access is maintained and secured at all times.
- Create administrative documentation including reports, disciplinary notes, logging entries, and build department budget and strategic plans regarding security & safety.
- Under the supervision of the Safety & Security Manager, collaborate with Rwanda National Police (or other government authority) related to security breaches/incidents.
- Report on Health, Safety, and Environment (HSE) incidents and work to ensure compliance with HSE policies and procedures onsite. This includes working with the contractor’s HSE coordinator on-site during construction to ensure the smooth operation of the campus alongside the construction of new assets.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or 5 years of hands-on experience in security management.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to speak effectively to large groups or members of the organization
- Effective written communication and interpersonal skills to write reports and correspond in a professional manner, read and comprehend safety documents, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Excellent integrity and honesty.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite programs (Excel, Word).
- Ability to work extended hours including nights, weekends, on-call status, and holidays as necessary
- Experience in managing security for a university campus.
HOW TO APPLY
- Fill the information required, upload, and submit the documents in English to the link provided below.
Please combine your resume/CV with your degree certificate as one PDF file before you upload.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Richard B. Ferguson
Vice Chancellor, Academics, Extension, and Research