Software Engineer Associate at Ampersand: (Deadline 10 September 2020)
What we are looking for:
The Software Engineer Associate will oversee and assist in the development of the Amper Ops platform. We’re looking for someone who has worked with large distributed systems and is not afraid to go in and assist with debugging or coding. This involves everything from making sure the infrastructure decisions are sound to decisions around software tools and platforms to use. Ampersand manages a fleet of batteries and vehicles and sells swaps. The software will be key to ensuring the success of the business model.
This role will report directly to the CTO. Your objectives will include the following:
- Helping shape Ampersands digital products
- Understanding user requirements and turning them into applications, running and working with other teams to understand requirements and distill them into requirements that can be transformed into applications and features. – Bringing together and managing a team of Junior software engineers and mentoring them as the team grows
- Setup the software dev cycle from development to testing to deployment. Choose what tools to use for CI, log management and overall devops.
- Working on the data back-end of Ampersand to allow for data analytics and business intelligence to be extracted easily
- Looking into Machine Learning as a way of optimizing Ampersands charging and battery infrastructure
- Writing code in Python/Go/Java/JS when needed to assist in components of the process
- Work together with hardware and electrical team to ensure synergy between hardware and software products.
Ampersand is a good fit if:
- You are ready to support people in a high growth company
- You have a meticulous attention to detail
- You are motivated by seeing your teammates grow and develop
- You are looking for an entrepreneurial company that values innovation and strong execution
- You value diversity and community in the workplace
- You like to get stuff done
- You love complicated systems where optimization is key
- You are not afraid of infrastructure projects and like playing with hardware.
- You like working in a fast-moving agile environment.
What we want you to bring:
- A strong work ethic, and the ability to manage shifting priorities and unforeseen challenges.
- Maximum of two years of prior experience in Software Developments and large team
- Degree in computer science/ electrical engineering is a bonus, but experience is also valued, self taught developers highly encouraged to apply.
- Technical abilities with Linux, Bash, VM’s, Docker, Networks, Distributed systems.
- Experience with time series and transactional data .
- Strong communication skills with a supportive and nurturing disposition.
- (Bonus) Experience in a start-up environment.
We bring cheaper, better motorcycles to the 5 million motorcycle taxi drivers in East Africa. Our bikes also happen to be electric. Our goal is to kick off the world’s first mass-market shift from petrol to electric power in an entire vehicle fleet while improving rather than reducing vehicle performance. We’re starting this process in Kigali, where 30,000 motorcycle taxis outnumber all other vehicles on the road combined.
?By using a battery swap model, we make it cheaper to buy and operate an electric motorcycle than a petrol motorbike. Going electric will already double a driver’s income now, and leapfrog Africa towards a zero carbon future