Student Wellness Manager at ALU: (Deadline 30 September 2020)
From the start, we’ve been on a mission to bring the “university of the future” to the world — a place where students declare missions, not majors, where the real-world experience takes precedence over theoretical classroom lectures and were learning how to learn has replaced learning facts and figures. Today, ALU is on its way to helping unleash the human potential of a new generation of ethical and entrepreneurial leaders — and in the process, unlock a new era of prosperity and opportunity for Africa and beyond unlike the world has ever seen.
Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa, and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.”
ABOUT THE STUDENT LIFE TEAM
Our learning philosophy at African Leadership University can be summarised through the acronym ASHIP for we believe that learning should be active, social, holistic, integrated and personal. Put differently, learning is centered around the student’s own life. What happens in our students’ day-to-day, within and outside of the classroom, contributes equally to their learning experience. The Student Life (SL) team at ALU is in charge of every aspect of the student’s life. We ensure our students’ overall wellness through the ALU Alive program which encompasses various support systems, programs and activities which promote physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The role of Wellness Manager is to lead out efforts to promote physical, psychological, and mental wellness within the ALU Community. This person will be responsible for the development and implementation of wellness programs and services provided by the ALU Wellness Center as well as identify viable methods for engaging the community in ALU’s campaign for holistic wellness.
Managing the Wellness Center
- Designing and updating Center Growth Strategy
- Operational Admin (Budget, set up, maintenance)
- Designing training curriculum for staff, fellow, and intern
- Designing and implementing programs for the 6 services provided
- Grant writing and partnership development for the WC
Managing the Wellness Team
- Responsible for the professional development of personnel
- Assigning and following up with personnel tasks as well as providing support
- Hiring personnel whenever the need arises
Student Life Support
- Follow up with and support other Student Life programs and deliverables
- Support other ALU departments when needed
- MA or MSC in Psychology or Counselling and registration with a Professional Board is a must.
- Mentoring, Counselling and Coaching Skills
- 5 years experience in working with the youth, with at least 2 years being in a managerial role
- Skills in psycho-educational program planning, execution, and facilitation
- Experience in a diverse educational environment
- Evidence of ability to work in a team
- High levels of professionalism and ethics
- Experience in project management