Volunteer Role: Community Engagement Advisor at Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO): (Deadline 25 September 2020)
VSO is the world’s leading international development organization that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organizations where their skills can have the greatest impact. As a VSO volunteer, you’ll live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. By sharing your unique skills and experience you’ll help generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities you work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead, we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us as a VSO volunteer and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Responsible for coordinating in-country Polio Emergency Operation Centres(EOC) community engagement work, volunteer management, and support
Establishing beneficial partnerships with communities and strengthen access to and utilization of polio immunization services
- Enhance community participation in polio immunization service planning to promote a sense of ownership and accountability.
- Promote inclusion by emphasizing the recruitment and identification of polio survivors and young people, to advocate for and relay communication messages on polio vaccination
- Involve communities in monitoring (citizen-led monitoring) and surveillance of services and provide periodic feedback regarding program successes and challenges to community members and the Polio EOC leadership
- Inform and engage community members in effective polio immunization programmes outlining the purpose of immunization, its importance, and where and when it is available using appropriate social and behavior change communication materials via radio, print, and other mass media platforms.
- Empower the community to take action by addressing mistrust, resistant groups as well as hold duty bearers to account for improved service delivery
- Call for increased accountability from local leaders, government officials, and the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) vaccination teams
- Facilitate community dialogues and action through involvement and participation to build each communities’s agency, ownership, and support.
- To inform programme Staff of any issues which violate or jeopardize the operation of the support.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication and leadership skills.
- Maintain Health and Safety of the group ensuring policies and procedures are adhered to.
Skills, qualifications, and experience
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open-minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full-time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in the country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which mean accommodation varies and will be basic.
Some background about VSO
Much has changed since VSO started 60 years ago. We’ve gone from being a UK charity to a truly global development organization. In 2016/2017 alone, we worked with over 7,000 volunteers from all over the world and from all backgrounds to deliver services that had an impact on the lives of almost 2.6 million people in the 24 countries where we work. Our programmes focus on the areas of health, education, and livelihoods, with an increasing emphasis on resilience building, social accountability, gender, and social inclusion. We believe progress is only possible when we work together and that strong partnerships are crucial to delivering positive change. That’s why we work with over 500 partner organizations, from local and national governments, to businesses, NGOs, funders, charities, and community groups. Currently, over 30% of our people are recruited from within the country in which they work, and we continue to grow the share of community and national volunteers involved in our programmes. We also send increasing numbers of volunteers from one developing country to another. However, our vision has remained the same; to build a world without poverty.
Your application and COVID-19
We are continually reviewing our ability to safely programme and implement projects during the COVID-19 pandemic. Many local restrictions are being implemented in several VSO locations, which impacts VSO’s existing program delivery.
We will continue to follow the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO) and national governments to protect the wellbeing and safety of all communities, employees and volunteers.
We’re continuing to build a talent pool of prospective professional volunteers so we can get back to supporting communities as soon as we’re able to.
If your application is shortlisted, a VSO hiring manager will be in touch to discuss the next steps and any changes to your placement and role.
You can read VSO’s COVID-19 statement and frequently asked questions about volunteering during the COVID-19 pandemic here.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY