Postdoctoral Fellowship at Virginia Commonwealth University: (Deadline Ongoing)
Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Medicinal Chemistry calls applications for Postdoctoral Fellowship in Membrane Protein Structural Biology. VCU has successfully determined the first atomic-resolution structure of a patch of native cell membrane lipid bilayer using our prototype NCMN system. The new technology will be used for the structure determination of our selected biologically or bio-medically important membrane proteins or complexes in our lab or in collaboration with several excellent collaborators including members of the National Academy of Sciences and Nobel Laureates.
The Department of Medicinal Chemistry is seeking a highly motivated scientist who is interested in membrane protein structural biology and structure-based drug discovery. The incumbent will assist with developing revolutionary technology for membrane protein research, especially for high-resolution structure determination with single particles cryo-EM.
- The successful candidate will work in a highly collaborative research environment; focusing their research on the structural analysis of selected model membrane proteins with an emphasis on technological development.
- Work closely with a highly collaborative group of scientists whose expertise includes organic synthesis, protein production purification, assay development, NMR spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM).
- The incumbent will also be responsible for the production of high-quality membrane protein samples to enable structural and functional characterization.
Candidates for this Postdoctoral Fellowship at Virginia Commonwealth University should have the following qualifications
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biophysics, and/or structural biology with experience in protein biochemistry.
- Also, a proven track record in optimizing the expression and purification of challenging
proteins is therefore highly desirable.
- Must be driven to succeed on challenging research projects that aim to explore the structural basis of membrane protein activity.
- Furthermore, proficiency in X-ray crystallography and/or cryo-EM methods strongly preferred.
For immediate consideration, please send a cover letter, CV and at least two reference letters to Dr. Youzhong Guo. Email: [email protected]