Walter Massey Fellowship 2021: (Deadline 2 June 2021)
Applications are open for Walter Massey Fellowship 2021. The Walter Massey Fellowship recognizes outstanding scientists and engineers who have recently received their Ph.D. or are in the process of completing degree requirements. Walter Massey Fellowship was established in honor of Argonne’s first Black laboratory director, Dr. Walter Massey, who is a distinguished advocate of equity in science and education.
Walter Massey Fellows will pursue independent research that supports Argonne purpose: make game-changing discoveries and inspire new technology to meet national needs for sustainable energy, economic competitiveness, and security. All qualified applicants will be considered for this fellowship and those who can demonstrate leadership in the areas of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are encouraged to apply.
Fellows will receive a competitive salary, full employments benefits, and a stipend for research support. However, fellows may renew their appointments on an annual basis for up to 3 years, with the possibility of retention if of mutual interest to the fellow and Argonne.
The following funding model allows Fellows to advance independent research as outlined in their fellowship proposal, while making significant contributions to Argonne initiatives:
- The first two years of the fellowship are funded 100% by Argonne’s Laboratory Directed Research Development (LDRD) Program.
- The third year is funded 50% by LDRD and 50% by other programs identified by the fellow and the host division.
- Ph.D. conferred within three years at the time of application or completion of Ph.D. requirements by the commencement of the appointment.
- Evidence of academic achievement with potential for technical and research leadership
- Research in areas that align with Argonne’s mission.
- Interest in leadership and service as evidenced through community outreach, activities to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, professional society engagement, etc.
- Creativity and motivation
- Excellent communication skills
- Alignment with Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
The complete application packages for Walter Massey Fellowship will include:
- Research proposal and project plan submitted using the research proposal template
- Biosketch submitted using the biosketch template.
- Three letters of recommendation
- CV to be uploaded through the application link
- Graduate transcripts: Refer to applicant instructions for acceptable format