World Bank/ARCE – MSc & PhD Scholarships in Railway Engineering 2020/2021: (Deadline 30 July 2022)
African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE) is one of the African Center of Excellence II projects supported by the World Bank. Through this support from the World Bank, the center aspires to become sustainable regional hub for training and research in Railway Engineering and Management, capable of leading efforts to address priority development challenges and improve lives in South and Eastern Africa.
The aim of the center is to strengthen railway professionals’ development through short-term training, MSc and PhD level education, and research in Ethiopia and the region at large. To this effect, ARCE is offering scholarships to citizens in African countries to pursue MSc studies in Railway Engineering specializing in “Civil Infrastructure”, “Rolling Stock” and “Traction and Train Control” for the 2020/21 academic year.
Applicants have to:-
- Have completed their last degree less than Five years ago during the time of application
- Be Citizens of African countries
- Applicants should have Bachelor’s degree qualification with at least a CGPA of 3.00/4.00 for males and 2.5/4.00 for females (grading shall be converted to 4.00 scale or at the level of Upper Second Class Honors or above).
- The applicant should write a personal statement/motivation letter describing the candidate`s interest to join the program.
- The applicant should have two letters of recommendations of advisors/ supervisors from previous educational institutions.
- All regional(Non Ethiopian Citizens) applicants shall submit a certificate that states English language is a media of instruction in your previous degree issued university
Female candidates and candidates from underprivileged regions or groups as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Place of Study
Addis Ababa University (AAU), Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAiT), African Railway Center of Excellence (ARCE), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Duration and Commencement
Scholarships are available from November 13, 2020 up to July 30, 2022 (for Two Academic years). The scholarship will be initially granted for one semester and may be extended for those who completed the first semester successfully.
Type A. Full Scholarship only for regional (Non Ethiopian Citizens) Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD600), tuition fee, health insurance and transportation cost.
Type B. Half Scholarship only for national (Ethiopian Citizens) competent Female Applicants: Covers monthly stipend (USD250) and tuition fee.
Type C. Part Timer Scholarship: Covers tuition fee only.
Type D. Self-Sponsored Students: Student should cover all the expenses. And have to be stated on application form.
Authentication fee, Registration fee, Application fee, resident permit fee and local transportation should be covered by selected candidates.
Stipend payment will be effective only after applicant has been admitted by Addis Ababa University.
The applicants should submit their document in a single PDF (COMPILED) file through email addresses; – [email protected] The application file name must be [applicantname_Field of Study.Pdf] for example jhon_Rollingstock.pdf and application only be complete if the following documents are submitted.
- Filled ARCE 2010/21 Scholarship form (Link for Application form)
- Signed curriculum vitae scanned in PDF; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Scanned copies of all university degree certificates
- Scanned copies of all university transcripts
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Academic reference from senior lecturer and proof of employment if applicable (scanned copy)
- All the documents listed above should be scanned in a single PDF (COMPILED) document. Applications submitted separately will be considered incomplete.