Ghent University Scholarships for Candidates from Developing Countries: (Deadline 4 February 2021)
Ghent University calls application for Special Research Fund – Doctoral Scholarships for Candidates from Developing Countries 2021. Moreover, with support from its “Special Research Fund” (BOF) Ghent University grants PhD “sandwich” scholarships to promising PhD students from developing countries who wish to carry out half of their PhD research at Ghent University (North) and half at a university in a developing country (South). Ghent University only finances the part of the research that will be carried out in Ghent (24 months); the candidate must have full-time co-funding for the other 24 months of research to be carried out in the South.
- PhD scholarships at Ghent University (in total 24 months).
- The Ghent University promoter receives a bench fee of € 310/per month of research in Ghent + € 8000 travel budget to cover (part of) the operational costs, as well as part of the traveling costs of the student and both the Ghent University and the local promoter.
The scholarships has the mobility scheme
- Students need to start and end with a research stay of 3 -12 months in Ghent.
- The first research stay in Ghent needs to be started between 1 October 2021 and 28 February 2022.
- At least 24 months of locally funded research stay in the South must be scheduled in between the first and last research stay in Ghent.
- Candidates need to come from – and have the nationality of – a developing country (see country list).
- However, the proposals must be jointly submitted by a candidate, a supervisor (promoter) at Ghent University, and a supervisor at the partner university (South).
- No restrictions are imposed on the field of research, nevertheless; topics that are relevant for the development preferred.
- Basically, only degree students (students who intend to obtain a (joint ) PhD degree at Ghent University) are welcome to apply. Also, exchange students cannot apply for this scholarship
Ghent University wants to encourage more female researchers to apply for this scholarship.
- That is why a Ghent University supervisor can support maximum 2 candidates per call on the condition they are of a different gender.