UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science Program: (Deadline 9 April 2021)
Applications are open for UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science Program. Applicants that are accepted for enrolment in the UNU-IAS PhD in Sustainability Science program can be considered as candidates for the scholarship. There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission. Interested applicants must provide necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the PhD degree program
The JFUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY* for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months. However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student. The scholarship fully waives the tuition fees for the recipients. The amount of monthly allowance is 120,000 JPY for the academic year 2020.
- Must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Currently living in Japan under a working visa are NOT eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second PhD degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
- A strong interest in sustainability studies.
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues.
- A completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education and demonstrated ability to link course work and activities to principles of sustainability.
- A minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes was acquired after obtaining a university degree (full time equivalent).
- Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2021 may also apply.
- A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned.
English language proficiency
The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT)
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT)
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic forma
- CLICK HERE TO READ MORE AND APPLY