Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (LLM) Scholarships 2021/2022 for East African Lawyers (Funded): (Deadline 31 December 2020)
The Tanzanian-German Centre for Eastern African Legal Studies (TGCL) is a cooperation project of the University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and the University of Bayreuth, Germany. It is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office through the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The TGCL offers a structured LLM study programme at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law and trains aspiring young East African lawyers, qualifying them for leading positions in the region and beyond.
- TGCL invites applications from candidates from the East African Community Partner States (i.e. Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) for LLM studies starting on 1 November 2021.
- The minimum requirement for admission to the LLM programme is a Bachelor’s degree in law (LLB) with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or its equivalent from a recognised higher learning institution.
- The language of instruction at the University of Dar es Salaam School of Law is English. Those who are not conversant with it should not apply.
- Candidates who have received their last University degree more than six years ago at the time of the application can be admitted as self-paying students but do not qualify for scholarships.
Content of the Programme
– The candidates will pursue an LLM programme on East African Community Law and Regional Integration Law. The programme takes one year of full-time attendance.
– On successful completion of the programme, a student will obtain a Master of Laws degree from the University of Dar es Salaam and an additional TGCL Certificate.
Research Agenda of the TGCL
– There is a significant research component to the LLM programme in the form of a dissertation.
– All LLM dissertations must focus on selected aspects of East African Community law (EAC law), if possible in relation to the student’s national law.
The TGCL will award scholarships to applicants from EAC Partner States only, which will cover:
• the tuition fees for the LLM programme at the TGCL
• a cost of living stipend of 2,880 EUR for one year
• an accommodation subsidy of 360 EUR for one year
• a reasonable health insurance for one year
• a research allowance lump-sum of 460 EUR
Mode of Application
The applicant must register online through the TGCL website, using the online application form provided, and submit the following documents electronically:
• a signed curriculum vitae (please use the Europass CV template, http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
• a one-page letter of motivation
• all relevant certificates (birth certificate, secondary education academic certificates, academic transcripts, certificates of legal or other professional education (or provisional results for applicants who are in the final year of their LLB studies); in the case of documents not written in English, an official translation should be attached.
• a recent passport size photo
• the data page of the passport or any other proof of identity
• a letter of recommendation by a University teacher
– a release letter from your employer (if you are employed)
• a proposal of the intended research (please see the annexed guidelines).
Deadline for Applications
The application deadline is Thursday December 31, 2020.
Incomplete and late applications will not be considered.