Programme Analyst (Environment) at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP): (Deadline 24 October 2021)
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of the Sustainable Growth Unit, the Programme Analyst/Environment of UNDP is responsible for formulation and implementation of projects / programmes in areas of natural resources and environment management, biodiversity, and Energy Services (BES). He/she analyses and reviews national policies, program and plans with a view to aligning UNDP and UN environment program portfolio with the Government sustainable development agenda. He/she is also in charge of integration of environment and climate change concerns into the national and local development strategies. The Programme Analyst analyzes environmental (including climate change), biodiversity and energy services trends and issues in the country and assists in formulating strategies for implementing UN and UNDP environmental programmes in Rwanda. She/he is responsible to support the mobilization of climate finance, technology, and capacity to help country implement the national development agenda and meet national and international climate goals.
Apart from carrying out environment mapping and assessment, including analysis of political, social and economic trends, the Programme Analyst (Environment) will also be responsible for formulation, management and evaluation of environmental programme activities, and provides policy advisory services. He/she will also participate in mainstreaming of biodiversity, energy, and community-based development programmes, and capacity building initiatives into programme activities while applying the UN programming principles.
The Programme Analyst (Environment) oversees the implementation of GEF’s supported programme in the country office (CO) and support the head of Unit to coordinate activities of the project teams and other Programme Units, and works in close collaboration with the Operations team, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff and Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society in ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System. It serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy.
In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
UNDP’s 2018-2021 Strategic Plan emphasizes the critical links between environmental sustainability, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and broader efforts to achieve the goals of the 2030 Agenda and Paris Agreement. UNDP promotes and scales up integrated whole-of-governance approaches and nature-based solutions that reduce poverty and inequalities, strengthen livelihoods and inclusive growth, mitigate conflict, forced migration and displacement, and promote more resilient governance systems that advance linked peace and security agendas. UNDP works with governments, civil society, and private sector partners to integrate natural capital, environment and climate concerns into national and sector planning and inclusive growth policies; support country obligations under Multilateral Environmental Agreements; and implement the UN’s largest portfolio of in-country programming on environment, climate change, and energy. This multi-billion-dollar portfolio encompasses: Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services including forests; Sustainable Land Management and Desertification including food and commodity systems; Water and Ocean Governance including SIDS; Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation; Renewable and Modern Energy; Extractive Industries; Chemicals and Waste Management; Environmental Governance and Green/Circular Economy and SCP approaches. This work advances crosscutting themes on innovative finance, digital transformation, capacity development, human rights, gender equality, health, technology, and South-South learning.
In addition to UNDP’s bilateral partnerships on natural capital, environment and climate, UNDP is an accredited multilateral implementing agency of the Green Climate Fund (GCF), the Multilateral Fund (MLF), the Adaptation Fund (AF) and the Global Environment Facility (GEF) which includes the Global Environment Facility Trust Fund (GEF Trust Fund); the Nagoya Protocol Implementation Fund (NPIF); the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF); and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF). As part of UNDP’s partnership with these vertical funds, UNDP provides countries specialized integrated technical services for eligibility assessment, programme formulation, capacity development, policy advice, technical assistance, training and technology transfer, mobilization of co-financing, implementation oversight, results management and evaluation, performance-based payments and knowledge management services.
UNDP Rwanda is a leading UN agency in the implementation of the United Nations Development Assistance Plan (UNDAPII) for 2018-2023. In 2007, Rwanda was selected as one of eight pilot countries where the ’One UN’ models will be tried out. In 2018, the United Nations Country team (UNCT) in Rwanda elaborated its second United Nations Development Assistance Plan (UNDAPII). UNDAP provides the necessary programmatic coherence for the implementation of the ‘One UN Programme’ model in Rwanda. UNDP has been designated:
- The lead UN agency for:
- UNDAP Result One related to Economic Transformation.
- UNDAP Result Three on Transformative Governance
- The Administrative Agent of the One UN Fund.
- Active member of the UN Operations Management Team (UNOMT) responsible for leading the harmonization and simplification of policies and procedures among UN agencies.
In late 2009, UNDP embarked on a CO repositioning exercise with a view to aligning the CO capacities with the new Country Programme priorities, and to meeting the expectations placed upon UNDP within the context of the One UN (Delivering as One “DaO) and the Paris Declaration. The CO’s new Vision Statement is for UNDP Rwanda to provide quality advisory services and contributes to the development of national capacities to achieve Rwanda’s development goals”. To achieve this, the CO developed the following Mission Statement: “UNDP Rwanda, through the UN Delivering as One process, will contribute to providing effective and efficient support to the Government of Rwanda in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals as well as in the areas of Environment and Poverty Reduction”. Accordingly, a new CO structure has been established and new functions redesigned to focus on the delivery of upstream advisory services and cost-efficient development support services in Rwanda.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Provision of top-quality policy advice services to the Government and implementation of programme strategies
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAP, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues, and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Identification of areas for support and interventions within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned
- CO business processes mapping and preparation of the content of internal Standard operating Procedures in Results Management.
Management of the Country Office programme
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Coordination of programme implementation with the executing agencies. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets, and milestones.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to LPAC, entering project into Atlas, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review… Programme Analyst can perform functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval, participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Follow up on audit recommendations. All exceptions are timely reported.
- Aggregate reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs, and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports.
Contribution to Delivering as one (DaO) Initiatives
- Effective participation in the UN Environment and climate change Theme Group and provision of substantive inputs to the Theme Group’s work.
- Identification of joint interventions programming in Environment areas
- Support to ongoing M&E processes within the framework of DaO
- Collaborative preparation and/or revision of CCA, UNDAP, COD, CPD and other documents
Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy.
- Development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, lFl’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi- lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Formulate, design and review concept notes and project proposals for resources mobilization.
Facilitation of knowledge building and management.
- Facilitating the process of creating and raising level of awareness of Country Office (CO) environment, climate change and Green Growth-related activities.
- Creating high level advocacy on pertinent development policies and programmes across the representatives of top echelon of the country’s stakeholders.
- Advocating for UNDP with Government counterparts and ensures access to best available expertise.
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the country programme for organizational sharing and learning.
- Draft and publish written pieces (success stories, Opinion papaers etc.) in the areas of work (environment, climate change, natural resources management and sustainable development: contribute to communication outreach.
- Support to capacity-building of national counterparts.
- Promoting a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the Country office.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work
- Ability to persuade others to follow
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement
Technical / Functional Competencies
Development Planning and Monitoring
- Ability to develop business and planning processes at the national and local level and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Biodiversity and Eco-systems Management
- Knowledge of conservation, sustainable use and access and benefit sharing of biodiversity, land, forests and oceans and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Chemicals and Waste Management
- Knowledge of chemicals and waste management and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Green Economy / Green Commodities / Green Growth
- Knowledge of Green Economy concept and green growth issues, including green commodities, supply chains and poverty-environment nexus, and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Global Environmental Governance
- Knowledge conventions and MEAs (such as CBD and UNCCD) and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation concepts and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations
UN Coordination and Knowledge Management Skills on Pooled Financing Instruments
- Knowledge of UN inter-agency and national pooled financing instruments, including applicable legal arrangements. Proven consultation, data analysis and drafting skills
Partnership and Resources Mobilization
- Master’s degree Master’s in Environmental management, Environmental economics, environment and Development, Natural Resources Management, Biodiversity conservation, Ecosystem management, Ecology and other environmental Sciences related subject.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services in the environmental protection/management and climate change
- 2 years of experience in project management.
- Hands-on experience in design, monitoring, and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management systems essential.
Proficiency in English. Working knowledge of other UN language desirable
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.