PROJECT FIELD OFFICERS AT VSF-BELGIUM: (Deadline 10 January 2022)
Project Field Officers – Piloting Black Soldier Flies Farming in Rwanda (BSF Project)
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Belgium (VSF-B) is an International NGO based in Belgium whose vision is Healthy Animal, Healthy Human, in a Health Environment while its mission is “to strengthen the capacities of disadvantaged, livestock dependent communities to improve their well-being”.
Created in 1985, VSF-B currently work in 10 African Countries and has been working in Rwanda since the year 2001 in different facets of community mobilization and development, through implementation of various projects/programmes ranging from education, different aspects of animal health & improved animal management, agriculture, food security & livelihood, income generation & access to finance, green energy and different aspects of integrated environmental & natural resources management; across 15 districts of the country (for more information visit www.vsf-belgium.org).
Since December 2021, VSF-B have received the fund from the Belgian Cooperation Agency (Enabel) to implement a two years project commonly known as ‘’Piloting Black Soldier Flies Farming in Rwanda (BSF project)”in Rusizi, Gisagara, Rulindo, and Rwamagana districts. The project fall under the umbrella & contribute to a multi-actor’ project called PRISM (Partnership for Resilient and Inclusive for Small Stock Market) which is led by Rwanda Agriculture & Animal Resources Development Board (RAB).
2.Terms of references
With reference to the above; VSF-B is looking for a suitable candidate to fill a position for a Project Field Officers
Position Title: Project Field Officers
Number of positions: 3
Reporting to: Project Manager
Location: Rusizi District, Western Province (1), Gisagara District, Southern Province (1), Rwamagana District, Eastern province (1)
Contract Length: Two years fixed term contract
Start date: February 2022
- Be responsible for the overall implementation of extension activities in the project areas
- Conduct on farm and follow-up trainings and demonstrations with project beneficiaries
- Ensure that pig & poultry farmers as well as Livestock Farmer Field School (LFFS) facilitators are supported with various advisory services in areas of black soldier flies larvae production, management & use in pig & poultry feed formulation and feeding, animal health& production, animal breeding, animal feeding, and social economic development
- Participate in the planning, coordination, and implementation of the project fieldwork
- Participate in adaptation and utilization of the training module
- Liaise with local authorities and other strategic partners for a smooth project implementation
- Preparing reports for training and any other activities related to the training
- Liaise with her/his supervisor in case She/he may need any support
- Secure a close collaboration with the local authorities, proximity private veterinarians installed & strengthened by VSF-B and other local & community resources personnel operating in the area to ensure project interventions are well participative & aligned to the plan
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor in relation to the work applied for
- Work closely with other programme staff to develop training modules, preparation of training plans for Vétérinaires Sans Frontières beneficiaries.
- Advise, supervise, train farmers and groups, and coordinate social development activities in the project area.
- Support farmers and ensure that the appropriate simple farm records are in place and are in use
- Assist in farm planning especially during identification and preparation of new groups/farmers for production inputs, and help in all aspects of BSF farm installation,
- Work with groups’ leadership in different matters concerning group management and leadership and general project management.
- Ensure the groups meetings are held on a regular basis
- Ensure the establishment of community volunteers forums (forum for peer farmers and Community animal health workers)
- Responsible for facilitating all the external trainers
- Ensure good working relations with all stakeholders (beneficiaries, group leaders, community opinion leaders, and government officials) and maintain Vétérinaires Sans Frontières profile.
- Write and submit monthly report and support Project Manager to prepare quarterly, semester, annual project progress reports and any other reports (when needed).
- Advise the Project Manager on Project issues.
- Organize the field visit by project stakeholders including donors
- Work closely with Project Manager to establish local steering committees.
- Any other tasks required by Vétérinaires Sans Frontières leadership
Requirement of the positions
- Minimum a bachelor’s degree entomology, animal production, agriculture or veterinary/animal sciences,
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least 3 years of work experience in extension services in local or international NGO, preferably in insect and or animal production research and related extension
- Experience in developing learning materials and delivering trainings
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people in communities
- Excellent communication and writing skills with demonstrated ability to produce good reports in English
- Excellent written and spoken Kinyarwanda, French, and English
- Ability to effectively use a computer to access information and prepare reports and familiar with other Microsoft office materials (word, PowerPoint, internet, excel…)
- Good mastery of Project Cycle Management and specifically in monitoring and evaluation methods.
- Hardworking with the capacity to work independently with minimum supervision
- Willingness to engage in continuous learning and move beyond your comfort zone
- Honesty, integrity, openness, and respect
- Excellent team member
- Conversant with digital data collection tools, e.g.Kobo Toolbox
- Persuasive and able to work with different cultural settings, culturally sensitive
- Result oriented
- Experience in administrative and accounting management in the framework of cooperation projects.
- Excellent knowledge of French and English.
- To possess a valid driving license for a motorbike
- Excellent writing and reporting skills;
- Good oral presentation in front of different groups of interlocutors;
- Good interpersonal communication with excellent listening skills;
- Respectful of others and other cultures;
- Ownership of VSF-B’s values, mission, and vision;
- Is of unimpeachable integrity and expects the same from others;
- Excellent participatory approach, flexible and patient;
- Have a learning attitude;
How to apply
Interested candidates should address their application enclosed with a cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, academic documents, and other certificates to the Country Representative of VSF-B in Rwanda delivered in a single PDF document to e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org, with copy to: email@example.com, and to firstname.lastname@example.org ; not later than 10th January 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
- The subject of the e-mail should be mentioned “Application for the position project manager- Piloting black soldier flies farming in Rwanda(BSF) Project”
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for a written interview.
- Late application will not be considered.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic prevention measures, only soft copies sent via pre-mentioned emails will be accepted.
Done at Kigali, on 28 December 2021
Rwanda Office Coordination and Great Lakes Regional Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Belgium
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: email@example.com and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.