Technical Advisor, Principal of College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) at The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI): (Deadline Ongoing)
The Clinton Health Access Initiative, Inc. (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to saving lives and reducing the burden of disease in low-and middle-income countries while strengthening the capabilities of governments and the private sector in those countries to create and sustain high-quality health systems that can succeed without our assistance. For more information, please visit: http://www.clintonhealthaccess.org
CHAI Health Workforce Background:
A skilled health workforce is the backbone of every health system and therefore an essential precondition for progress toward universal health coverage (UHC). However, the WHO estimates that there is a global shortage of 17 million health workers. The gap is most acute in Africa (with a shortage of 4.2 million), which bears 24% of the global burden of disease yet has only 4% of the world’s health workforce. CHAI assists governments to develop their health workforce by enhancing their capacity to train highly qualified health workers and by strengthening national systems to finance, deploy, and manage those health workers.
CHAI’s approach to national heath workforce strengthening emphasizes three strategies:
(i) improving the quality and strategically increasing the scale of education for health workers,
(ii) expanding and optimizing health workforce financing, and (iii) providing technical assistance to governments to strengthen their overall health workforce planning and management systems.
Two key principles guide CHAI’s approach to workforce development. The first is focusing on the right kind of health workers—from community health workers to midwives, nurses, health managers, general physicians, and medical specialists—based on national need and service delivery objectives. CHAI’s approach also emphasizes sustainability by building the institutional capacity of the schools and universities where health workers are trained, training new generations of health professions educators, and developing systems and individual capabilities within governments to better plan and manage their own health workforce.
CHAI’s health workforce programs vary by country, as they reflect the major barriers and opportunities to workforce development in that specific context, as well as the priorities of the host government. Currently, CHAI is focused on health workforce programming in Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Nigeria, Rwanda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
The government of Rwanda has developed the National Strategy for Health Professions Development (NSHPD) 2020-2030, a 10-year plan to strengthen and expand the Rwandan health workforce though improved and expanded pre-service training. The strategy outlines national health workforce targets for 37 cadres of providers, and the necessary inputs to training institutions to scale up enrollment and graduation to meet those targets. The government has created a Human Resources for Health Secretariat (HRH Secretariat) to manage implementation of the strategy. The HRH Secretariat works in close collaboration with the College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CHMS) at the University of Rwanda (UR) to implement the strategy. The HRH Secretariat has requested CHAI’s support implementation of the NSHPD in different areas.
CHAI is seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding technical skills to assist the Principal of the CHMS at the UR to manage and coordinate the implementation of the NSHPD across five schools. These are: the School of Dentistry, the School of Health Sciences, the School of Nursing and Midwifery, the School of Public Health and the School of Medicine and Pharmacy. The Technical Advisor should have technical skills to advise and co-implement activities and initiatives, he/she will work hand in hand with the Principal of the CMHS to manage routine operations of implementing the NSHPD. The technical advisor will play a key role in relationship building and management with key stakeholders and academic partners in support of the NSHPD.
The desired candidate must be able to multi-task effectively and have experience managing multiple work streams. Candidates should also have experience managing relationships with government stakeholders and ideally will have worked in the field of health professional education. Successful candidates must have a passion for results, a commitment to excellence, and a demonstrated capacity to work in high-stress environments.
This position will report to the Principal of the CMHS and will coordinate with CHAI Rwanda Program Manager, Health Workforce. This position is based at the office of the Principal in Kigali, Rwanda.
- Serve as the liaison between the CMHS and HRH Secretariat.
- Work closely with Principal and the Deans of the five schools to facilitate new curriculum development and review of the existing ones, acquisition of teaching materials, and other educational tools across schools, campuses & teaching hospitals.
- Work closely with the principal and deans to ensure that the all the mandatory faculty are recruited on time.
- Co-manage enrollment planning.
- Support the Principal in coordinating academic programs in all the aspects and research activities for the implementation of the NSHPD.
- Work closely with the CMHS leadership and the HRHS in tracking progress on implementing the NSHPD.
Academic partnerships management
- Support the CHMS to develop and implement an effective academic partnerships strategy in close collaboration with HRHS.
- Assist the CMHS to identify, develop and maintain strong relationships with potential and existing academic partners.
- Support the CMHS to develop and execute MoUs and contracts with academic partners and visiting faculty.
- Effectively engage and manage relationships with key training institutions.
Administration and operations
- Support the Principal and Deans to develop annual plans and budgets to sustain academic programs.
- Provide inputs as required to annual and projects reports and briefing documents.
- Provide organisational support to the CMHS research projects.
- Co-develop communication mechanisms to ensure effective dissemination of information across schools and teaching hospitals.
- Perform other duties related to the position as deemed relevant by the principal.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, administration, business administration, social sciences, project management or relevant subjects. Master’s degree in the above-mentioned field preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience preferably in the higher education sector.
- Previous role advising senior leadership.
- Experience working closely with government officials and staff.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical assistance to government institutions.
- Experience working in Rwanda or in other relevant contexts.
Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated strong organizational, analytical, leadership, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and an ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of partners and stakeholders and drive immediate results.
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate, collaborate, communicate, and facilitate in complex environments.
- Ability to work independently and effectively in high-pressure, fast-paced environment and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated strong oral and writing communication skills.
- Availability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to cope with a frequently changing environment and adapt to evolving situations.
- Ability to be reliable, responsible, dependable and to fulfil obligations.
- Fluent in English
- Fluency in French strongly
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fees during the recruitement Process.Even if mucuruzi.com does it best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and write to mucuruzi.com via this email : email@example.comNever pay any fee to have a job and never pay any fee to get any opportunity, if you do so , do it at your own risk