The Edinburgh Award for Flash Fiction: (Deadline 31 August 2021)
Applications are open for Edinburgh Award for Flash Fiction 2021. Invitation to our annual Flash Bash for the top twenty shortlisted writers, to be held on Saturday 26 February 2022 at the Scottish Arts Club in Edinburgh, when the winners will be announced.
The 2022 Edinburgh Award for Flash Fiction shortlist will be released in December 2021. The winner will receive
- Trophy commemorating the Edinburgh Award for Flash Fiction Winner 2022
- £1,000 cash award
- The second and third placed pieces will win £300 and £150 cash respectively.
- Up to 20 shortlisted writers will be invited to participate in the annual Flash Bash at the Scottish Arts Club on Saturday 20 February 2022.
- The announcement of the winner will be on our website, via Facebook, Twitter, and through the newsletter issued in mid-2022.
- The winner of the £300 Golden Hare Award will be announced during the Flash Bash on Saturday 20 February 2022.
- The Edinburgh Award for Flash Fiction is open to writers worldwide and 16 years or over by 1 January 2022
- The Golden Hare Award is restricted to anyone over 16 years on 1 January 2022 and resident in Scotland.
- Entries must be in the entrant’s own name/names, not pseudonymous. If successful, you can request that we use your nom de plume on anything we publish on the site.
- Entries must not have been previously published in print or online, been broadcast or won a prize.
- Entries can be on any theme or subject but must be original and written in English. They must also be for adult readers.
- Non-fiction and fiction written for children under 14 years is not eligible. Illustrated stories are not eligible.
- Simultaneous submission is permitted. Should your flash fiction win a prize or be published elsewhere, please let us know so that we may remove your entry from the current Award.
- No refunds are issued.
- Authors retain full worldwide copyright throughout.
- The maximum length is 250 words, title excluded.
- Entries should be typed in a plain legible font.
- Entries will be read and judged anonymously. Do not put your name, address, email, telephone number or any personally identifying information on any page of your document.
- If the piece has no title, then its first five words will be used as the title. The document name will be changed to a serial number, so ideally your title should appear above your piece, not just as the document name. It does not count as part of the 250 words limit.
- Acceptable file types are doc, docx, txt and pdf. Do not send .odt or .pages as we may not be able to open them and will disqualify if we can’t.
- The file name is up to you; we save it as FF001.docx, FF002.docx etc, anyway.