Job at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) : 2 Posts available (Deadline:15 March 2018 )
Job at The University of Global Health Equity: Director of Clinical Education (Deadline:15 March 2018 )
Job Title: Director of Clinical Education
Reports to: Dean of the School of Medicine
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity is seeking a full-time Director of Clinical Education who will be responsible for overseeing the activities and administration of community-based and clinical aspects of the MBBS/MGHD program. S/he will be responsible for planning hands-on and field-based learning experiences and developing clinically-relevant components of the MBBS/MGHD curriculum. S/he will also develop agreements with UGHE’s teaching hospitals, establish appointment policies and compensation of clinical faculty, and will interview, hire, and train health professionals as teaching faculty. The Director of Clinical Education will advise UGHE and PIH/IMB leadership on infrastructure and staffing plans for upgrades of clinical teaching sites. S/he will also manage routine interactions with the Rwandan Ministry of Health (MOH), clinical sites affiliated with UGHE, and PIH/IMB. S/he will lead and oversee the accreditation of UGHE’s clinical teaching sites, to ensure accreditation of the overall MBBS/MGHD program. Finally, the Director of Clinical Education will also participate in teaching students in the classroom, in the field, and in simulation exercises.
Administrative and Leadership Responsibilities
- Create a staffing plan for clinical and community-based instruction at UGHE
- Collaborate with diverse stakeholders to develop policies, titles, and compensation schemes for MOH, district-level, local, and community employees (community health workers, nurses, and physicians) who will teach at UGHE
- Recruit, screen, hire, and supervise physicians, community health workers, and nurses as clinical teaching faculty
- Advise UGHE leadership on the development of memoranda of understanding (MOUs) with the central and local government of Rwanda related to faculty appointments and compensation
- Provide substantive input to PIH/IMB and UGHE leadership on plans for upgrades to UGHE’s network of teaching hospitals to help align upgrades with UGHE’s curriculum plans and accreditation needs
- Foster productive and mutually beneficial working relationships with the Rwandan MOH, the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MOE), the local government responsible for the clinical sites, and PIH/IMB
- Oversee efforts to ensure UGHE’s compliance with Rwandan and East African clinical teaching hospital accreditation standards
- Lead the development and improvement of a community-based curriculum for the early years of the MBBS program, focusing on the development of relevant clinical skills and meaningful interactions with patients and health professionals
- Provide input on the planning of clinical instruction for the later years of the MBBS program
- Train physicians, nurses, and community health workers in best practices in clinical and community-based teaching
- Teach MBBS/MGHD students in classrooms, in the community, and in the clinic
- Design and teach clinical simulations in the simulation center
Other Duties as Assigned
- Serve on university committees and represent the university on external committees as assigned
- Perform additional duties as required
- Earned clinical degree (MBBS or equivalent, or bachelor’s in nursing)
- Ten or more years experience in clinical practice and clinical teaching, preferably in East Africa
- A track record of excellence in clinical teaching
- Demonstrated record of leadership, supervisory, and administrative skills
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership and managerial skills and the capacity to recruit, lead, and supervise clinical instructors
- Prior responsibility for financial control of operating budgets through various funding sources
- A deep commitment to the mission of the University and a vision for providing an excellent student experience
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to work with and represent the clinical learning experience to faculty, staff, alumni, parents, donors, and other stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and outside of traditional working hours required
- Ability to work well under pressure and achieve results in a fast-paced environment
- Possess advanced diplomatic instincts with the ability to gracefully and humbly work within challenging professional contexts requiring tact, judgment, and discretion
- Experience living and working in Rwanda preferred
- Fluency in English required; French or Kinyarwanda language skills desired
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes in health care.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. Over three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima (IMB) – PIH’s sister organization – and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS) program, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, MBBS students will also be granted the MGHD degree. In 2017, the Center for Nursing & Midwifery Leadership (CN&ML) was developed to address the gaps in nursing and midwifery education and to meet the needs of the health care system and most vulnerable patients around the globe.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in their drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as they uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
How to Apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) a cover letter, (3) a personal statement addressing teaching philosophy and experience working with diverse student populations, and (4) names and contact information of three professional references who can attest to experience in clinical education, leadership and management experience, and/or experience in academic administration. Please upload your cover letter and personal statement as a single file under “Additional Files” through this link by 15th March, 2018.
Job at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) : Recruitment Manager (15 March 2018)
Job Title: Recruitment Manager
Reports to: Project Director
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program: the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery. Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Recruitment Manager will oversee all aspects of recruitment and onboarding for staff. Working closely with the HR Management Team reporting to the Director of People and Culture, the Recruitment Manager will support the HR organizational goals by coordinating high-priority recruitment needs and building systems and structures for tracking, analyzing, and reporting outcomes. The Recruitment Manager will lead the onboarding process for new hires and provide advice and support to Hiring Managers to ensure procedures are being executed in a timely and effective manner.
Recruitment and onboarding
- Work with the HR Management team to strategize human capital needs and create staffing plans;
- Coordinate recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of Rwanda-based staff
- Support job postings via internal recruitment software, liaisoning closely with Hiring Managers;
- Develop procedures and strategies for optimizing recruitment, providing high-level reviews and reports analyzing current systems to be briefed to the HR Management Team and Senior Managers;
- Coordinate recruitment efforts with external firms as needed;
- Conduct orientation and training programs for new employees and semi-annual performance reviews of existing employees;
- As a member of a dynamic start-up Human Resources team, work on other priority projects as needed.
Consultant, Fellow, and Intern Support
- Draft and execute contracts with external consultants and collaborators including adjunct faculty, fellowship positions, and interns
- Advertise contract opportunities;
- Onboard contractors and liaise with staff members to create cohesion across teams
- At least 4 years of human resource experience in a senior level position required
- Master’s or advanced degree in Human Resources or related field preferred
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with professionals at all levels in diverse settings; must be flexible, reliable, responsive, and resourceful
- Prior experience in leading high-level recruitment campaigns, including managing international recruitment efforts, as well experience with processes related to on-boarding.
- Previous experience working in an academic field preferred
- Ability to design and implement administrative processes and systems, both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent written and oral communication with outstanding Kinyarwanda and English proficiency
- Great attention to detail
- Strong ability to understand and manage data
- Integrity and respect for confidentiality of HR records is a must
- Adaptability to work in a rapidly changing environment and flexibility with schedules
- Experience with hiring software and Microsoft PowerPoint a plus
- Commitment to global health and social justice
How to Apply
In addition to this application, applicants should provide: (1) curriculum vitae, (2) undergraduate and graduate transcripts, (3) a cover letter discussing interest in UGHE and relevant experience, (3) contact information for at least two professional references.
All interested Candidates are requested to apply through this link by 15th March, 2018.