University of Groningen 2022 International PhD Scholarships in Smoking During Pregnancy, Netherlands: (Deadline 27 June 2022)
University of Groningen 2022 International PhD Scholarships in Smoking During Pregnancy, Netherlands
Smoking is one of the most important preventable risk factors for adverse pregnancy outcomes and, yet, it is common among women with a low socio-economic status (SES). In 2018, 16% of low-educated women in the Netherlands smoked during pregnancy compared to only 3% of high-educated women. As high-income countries start to reach the tobacco ‘endgame’, it is important to find ways to reach the most persistent smokers especially considering pregnant smokers.
Two promising areas of inquiry can be identified to better understand barriers to smoking cessation in this target group. First, to substantially reduce smoking in the low SES group, a broad perspective might be necessary. The current prenatal healthcare guidelines recommend smoking cessation support based on the individual behaviour of the pregnant woman. Considering the addictive and social nature of smoking, this might be insufficient. Indeed, having another smoker (especially the partner) in the household is a major risk factor for continuing smoking during pregnancy.In turn, this raises questions about the impact of the wider social network among the neighborhood of smoking pregnant women, including family members (e.g. parents, siblings)as well as other social contacts. Second, guided by strong international evidence of the detrimental short? and long?term health effects of smoking, local and national governments have passed legislation aimed at discouraging smoking initiation, reducing consumption among smokers, and reducing exposure to tobacco smoke. The policy mechanisms include taxation, restrictions on advertising and distribution, educational programs, and bans on smoking in public places. However, the effectiveness of the existing policies is not clear. Moreover, such policies do not always reach the intended goals.
About University of Groningen
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for four hundred years, and with success: the University is currently in or around the top 100 on several influential ranking lists.
University of Groningen PhD Scholarship
- Type PhD
- Organisation University of Groningen
- Country to study Netherlands
- School to study University of Groningen
- Course to study Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender Men and Women
- Application Deadline June 27, 2022
Aim and Benefits of University of Groningen PhD Scholarship
The successful candidate will receive a gross scholarship of € 2,249 per month, of which wage tax and social insurance premiums will be deducted
Requirements for University of Groningen PhD Scholarship Qualification
- To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Have a relevant master degree in the social or health sciences (economics, sociology, epidemiology, bioinformatics, statistics or a comparable discipline)
- Have strong quantitative research skills
- Have an interdisciplinary background, or affinity with working in an interdisciplinary team
- Be able to show perseverance, flexibility, project management and collaboration skills
- Be fluent in English (both oral and written)
- Be able to finish the PhD thesis in four years
- Enjoy planning and taking initiatives
- Enjoy academic writing and have the desire to publish
- Be able and willing to work in Groningen, in an international and interdisciplinary environment.
June 27, 2022
How to Apply
Interested and qualified? Go to University of Groningen on www.rug.nl to apply1. A motivation letter
2. Your CV
3. A research proposal (max 2 pages)
4. A scan of your diploma including transcripts and a proof of English proficiency
5. Other relevant documents.
The documents 1-4 are compulsory and please note that incomplete application packages or applications sent by email will not be taken into account.
You may apply for this position until 27 June 11:59pm / before 28 June 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website).
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: email@example.com and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.