Facilities Manager at Carnegie Mellon University Africa: (Deadline 19 February 2022)
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) is building a network alliance of engineering and technology education institutions across the African continent, which will create and enhance educational, knowledge creation, and industry-government connections to produce a workforce that drives inclusive digital transformation in Africa. They will work together to develop the capacity of network universities to deliver effective engineering and technology education, increase access through online certificate programs, and partner in creating practicum and internships to strengthen students’ employability skills.
Established out of a partnership between Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and the Government of Rwanda, CMU-Africa is addressing the critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent required to accelerate the economic development and digital transformation of Africa—home to the fastest growing workforce in the world. CMU-Africa was established in 2011 and is the only U.S. research university offering its master’s degrees with full-time faculty, staff, and operations in Africa. CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research.
Our vision is to educate and empower the next generation of African leaders and innovators by delivering a world-class educational experience. CMU-Africa’s mission is to produce creative and technically strong engineers, who have been trained in the African context, and prepared to make transformative impact in their communities and the world.
- Oversee all aspects of building maintenance, facility planning, space allocation, and building systems management to ensure CMU-Africa facilities are fit for purpose.
- Assess user needs regarding building automation systems, utility usage, energy conservation and develops coherent strategies and spending plan to meet all of these needs for existing facilities and infrastructure.
- Partner with the Finance Officer to procure external vendor services for security, cleaning, landscaping, general repairs, and maintenance, and manages those relationships on a day-to-day basis.
- Oversee all custodial services and ensure external vendor service delivery is meeting service level agreement terms and conditions.
- Manage the facilities maintenance budget and negotiates vendor contracts in line with CMU policies.
- Establish and enforces policies and procedures regarding the facilities functions of the campus to ensure all areas are aesthetically pleasing, clean, orderly, and portray the proper image that is aligned with CMU’s reputation.
- Collaborate with various CMU-Africa constituents and CMU main campus Enterprise Risk Management to compete the development of an Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan for CMU-Africa, which covers fire safety, evacuation plans, medical emergency, and natural disaster protocols, etc…
- Ensure building improvements and maintenance schedules are adhered to and meet building code and health and safety requirements.
- Work closely with external constituents such as the police and fire departments to ensure compliance with local safety regulations.
- Ensure that facilities meet government regulations and environmental, health and security standards
- Regularly inspect the building facilities for signs of damage or wear and tear and takes timely action to mitigate damage and oversee building projects, renovations or refurbishments.
- Submit regular reports to the Director of Business Operations on the status of facilities projects and ongoing works.
- Work closely with the institutional diversity lead to ensure facilities are continuously improved for disability access
- Collaborate with CMU Pittsburgh partners to conduct analysis and make recommendations on sustainability practices and protocols
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Operations Management, Real Estate, or related field. Master’s degree a plus.
- 3-5 years of facilities management in a related field and building management experience with 2 or more years working in educational, or institutional setting with leadership experience.
- Working knowledge of commercial building codes, current construction practices, and regulations – both for Rwanda and Internationally. Familiarity with statutes for the same.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, Kinyarwanda and French essential
- Demonstrable ability to handle multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment, work under pressure and with frequent interruptions
- Superior customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrable ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
- Agile learner with the ability to adapt and thrive in an evolving, diverse environment
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, excellent discretion and maintain confidentiality
- Demonstrable ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or individuals
- Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
- Demonstrable ability to work independently and take initiative
- Demonstrable to get things done and produce results quickly—whether the tasks are large or small
- Computer literacy (including knowledge of, and substantial experience with, email, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation skills). Working knowledge of CAD drawing systems a plus
- Excellent analytical skills, with meticulous attention to detail; keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and record
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.