Job at East African Community : Senior Customs Officer (Deadline: 21 July 2017 )
Senior Customs Officer – Information Management Officer
The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, , Republic of South Sudan, the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
Organ / Institution: The Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Principal Customs Officer (Information Technology)
To support the development and implementation of customs IT systems and solutions to facilitate the EAC Single Customs Territory.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze the Customs systems and make recommendations on development of customs software business solutions and modules under the interconnectivity framework to facilitate the Single Customs Territory.
- Assist in the design and implementation of IT solutions in accordance with the EAC CMA, Customs Regulations, Council decisions and Customs Committee recommendations.
- Assist in the development of IT regulations and process manuals and monitor their implementation;
- Support Partner States on matters related to interconnectivity and exchange of information;
- Monitor the efficacy of data exchange platforms and make timely interventions to rectify any operational problems;
- Coordinate the training and sensitization on IT related matters at the regional level;
- Design regional customs information systems in line with the proposed information Security policy and legal regulation for customs interconnectivity;
- Coordinate and support Customs technical working groups;
- Any other official duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
Masters’ degree in Information Technology, Business Informatics or equivalent and relevant certification in Information Technology.
At least eight (8) years of experience in the relevant field with three (3) at management level and sound knowledge of change management and networking in a complex development context;
Skills and Competencies:
Knowledge of regional integration and trade policy issues in the Regional Integration. Proficiency in computer applications with hands-on skills in a Customs Computer system; Analytical skills, communication skills, decision-making skills, planning skills, negotiations skills, networking skills, research skills, monitoring and evaluation skills.
EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once .
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 21 July 2017.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
Friday, 21 July 2017 – 5:00pm