5 Job Positions at East Africa Exchange (EAX) : Extension Field Officers (Deadline: 03 September 2018)
East Africa Exchange (EAX)
Hiring of Extension Field Officers
Terms of reference
The East Africa Exchange (EAX) is a regional commodity exchange established in 2014 to link smallholder farmers to agricultural and financial markets, secure competitive prices for their products, and facilitate access to financing opportunities. EAX is registered throughout East Africa Community partner countries.
In line with transforming the agriculture sector from subsidiary to commercial, EAX has been awarded a grant from TradeMark East Africa (TMEA) aiming to increase trade competitive and strengthening export capacity of staples.
To implement this grant, EAX is looking to recruit five (5) skilled, motivated and experienced Extension Field Officers to perform the following tasks:
- Support farmers in season preparation, inputs linkage, procurement and distribution;
- Support farmers, farmers organization in land mapping (land sizing);
- Conduct a needs assessment for target farmer cooperatives;
- Contribute to the development a capacity building plan based on a training need assessment;
- Work with supported cooperatives in harvest preparation, identification of collection centers and logistics plan;
- Work closely with EAX Quality Assurance and Commercial Departments to properly plan for aggregation activities;
- Work closely with cooperative presidents/managers to identify all categories of off takers/buyers of maize and beans in cooperative areas and link them to EAX to facilitate transactions;
- Preparation and undertaking awareness and outreach meetings with all stakeholders ;
- Work closely with local government institutions and other existing support systems for sustainability of this program;
- Set target for cooperatives in term of tonnage to be collected in quantity and quality;
- Ensure data collection and prepare various reports on clients, commodity market environment and enterprise development activities;
- Carry out comprehensive sensitization and education of farmers on EAX services and products;
- Supporting farmers in grains handling according to EAC standards;
- Responsible for collection of market information data, process it and disseminate the information in the most appropriate format;
- Facilitate forward and backward linkages in the value chain to ensure sustainable business development;
- Determine market information needs for farmers and other rural entrepreneurs;
- Assist in the cooperative in procurement of post-harvest equipment and materials
- Any other duties prescribed by supervisors of this project ;
Applicants for this position must demonstrate capacity to deliver results, and a strong commitment to professional ethics and integrity. In addition, they must meet the following requirements:
- Be a Rwandan National
- A Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness, Rural Development and other related fields.
- At least two years of experience in rural development
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain professional relationships with rural farmer
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to effectively lead and work individually and in a team
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and internet
- Fluency in oral and written English and Kinyarwanda.
Given that agricultural activities are seasonal, these Field Officer positions shall not be permanent positions, at least from the beginning, and remuneration will be based on activities carried out successfully.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are requested to submit their application to EAX Office located at Nyarugenge Kiyovu (Péage), RSSB Building Tower II, 6th Floor or sent to the email address [email protected] not later than 3rd September, 2018. Email submissions shall be accepted until midnight.
The application shall comprise of:
1. An application letter clearly indicating your interest for the position
2. A Curriculum Vitae
3. Copies of all relevant supporting documents. Copies don’t need to be notarized. Originals might be required for verification, at a later stage of recruitment