Job at Abt Associates: Insectary Technician (Deadline: 08 December 2017)
Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 will support the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt also will continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Abt Associates seeks qualified candidates for the project’s operations in Rwanda.
Local candidates are encouraged to apply.
- All candidates should send applications to [email protected] with the position title in the subject line of the email.
- Documentation required to be considered includes a Cover Page, CV, biodata form, payslip from the most recent position held, copies of educational certificates/degrees, and contact information of at least 3 references we can contact (must include email addresses and phone numbers).
- Candidates selected for an interview will be sent a more detailed job description in advance of the interview.
- Applications that do not follow these instructions, or that do not meet the stated minimum qualification requirements, will not be considered.
- Responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Laboratory Coordinator with managing the insectary and laboratory.
- Cares for the mosquito colony maintained in the insectary.
- Ensures that required supplies and equipment are in stock and organized.Enters insectary records into the laboratory log books.
- Secondary School completion (minimum) or a Diploma/Degree in Laboratory, Biochemistry, Veterinary Health or other relevant field, and laboratory or veterinary experience.
- Basic computer skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills of project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications and organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with USAID funded programs and/or other international development experience.
- English language fluency.
JUNIOR LEVEL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS include the following:
- At least 5 years relevant experience, or: Bachelor’s Degree (desireable) or a Masters Degree.
Deadline: Candidates should submit application on or before December 8th, 2017.