Job at AIMS : Finance Officer (TTP) (Deadline: 2 February 2018)
We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS Centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Finance Officer (TTP), Rwanda
The Teacher Training Program (TTP) Rwanda is a five-year blended (face-to-face and online) training Program seeking to enhance the capacity of secondary school teachers (in-service and pre-service) in the teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics with the use of information technologies as a key component in teaching and learning. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, the Rwanda education board (REB) and the University of Rwanda college of education (UR-CE), the Program will equip teachers with skills, tools and resources to implement the competency based curriculum (CBC) using the Mathematics and Sciences for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA) approach adopted from the World Bank.
As the Finance Officer, you will be responsible for documenting all program financial transactions, including filing of all financial documents, tracking of warranties, leases, contracts and licenses, input of all financial data into the AIMS-NEI accounting system, performing the day to day accounting and financial requirements of TTP Rwanda ensuring compliance with AIMS-NEI organizational financial policies as well as statutory financial requirements. You will work collaboratively with all Program team members, giving the necessary support and guidance on financial and procurement matters; you will interact with a variety of external partners (Rwanda Education Board (REB), University of Rwanda College of Education (UR-CE) and the like to ensure appropriate documentation of Program financial activities is in place and to establish and monitor quality control mechanisms to preserve and safeguard the integrity of financial information.
Liaising closely with the global finance team, you will be responsible to prepare monthly and annual financial reports, including budget reports for the Director of TTP and Vice President Operations & Chief Financial Officer, to support and inform management decisions.
This is a full time opportunity based in Kigali, Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- A university degree in accounting or finance is required, a Master’s degree is an asset
- At least 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience
- Accreditation with a recognized accounting body is an asset
- Experience with an accounting software such as Sage 300 ERP (formerly Sage ERP ACCPAC) etc.
- Ability to train others in financial operations required
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office with particular strength in the use of Excel spreadsheet
- Experience in the use of cloud computing including common applications among them Gmail, Skype, Dropbox etc.
- Knowledge and experience of regulatory requirements for institutional funders
- Working knowledge of international donor procedures and security management
- Experience working in an NGO is an added advantage
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with an ability to build and manage a variety of internal and external relationships, including dealings with donors
- Self-directed with excellent organizational skills, attention to details and an ability to meet deadlines
- Articulate communication skills, both verbal and written, to influence and facilitate
- Flexible to adapt to an evolving environment
- Proficiency with MS Office, Google Apps and Skype
- A good command of English language, a working knowledge of French is essential
- Limited travel within Rwanda
- Ability to tolerate working hours outside the normal work schedule
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: [email protected] (i.e. quote “Finance Officer TTP RWA” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until February 2, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.