Country Director, Rwanda
at Andela (View all jobs)
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Cairo and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Leadership: You are passionate about building a team of leaders, coaching others and maintaining a high performance culture. You pride yourself in your ability to foster an environment where people thrive and deliver their best performance. You are able to make decisions that are data-driven, while being able to balance global best practices with local context.
- Business orientation: We are looking for a business leader. You fundamentally understand how a business operates, and the various considerations and trade-offs that are needed to build for the long-term, while also meeting short-term requirements. You are able to intuitively translate Andela’s business plan into a set of activities that need to happen, and incorporate local practices in execution.
- Strategic thinking: You are able to see future opportunities and challenges, and mobilize other Andelans to address these far in advance. You are also a strong problem solver who can find multiple ways forward.
- Operational excellence and ability to build for scale: You’ve demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing multi-million dollar budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management.
- A deep commitment to our mission: We are looking for a leader with evidence of operational skills, curiosity and a commitment to building outstanding teams. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change. This could be seen through your involvement in building companies or non-profits and developing talent, whether in health care, education, politics, financial inclusion, or some other area that is meaningful to you.
- Excellent listener: You are a great listener. You not only do an excellent job of hearing what people say and understanding the underlying sentiments and concerns, but are also capable of making people so comfortable that they are willing to open up to you.
Lead all elements of Andela Rwanda
- Lead and optimize every aspect of the Andela Rwanda business;
- Oversee management of all real estate, both office and residential including oversight of safety and security;
- Lead key departments including Facilities, IT, Operations, Travel and HR;
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections;
- Complete quarterly (or more) financial and operational reviews and reports for Andela Rwanda; and
- Create valuable external relationships that help Andela scale and attract the best talent.
Build strong processes and systems
- Maintain and create highly-structured processes, systems and recommendations with a data-driven approach;
- Maintain and create “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela model operation within Rwanda; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for training other teams; and
- Build systems and processes that successfully inform global teams and eventually other locations of all top line recurring indicators of success and that explain and troubleshoot any major outliers or obstacles to success.
Support world-class tech learning program by overseeing the well-being and pipeline of all Fellows through learning and into placement
- Collaborate with the Recruiting/Talent teams to ensure the recruitment numbers and quality meets expectations;
- Oversee the integration of total employment packages to employees including health care, savings plans, residential options and more.
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team
- Manage all Andela Rwanda staff at the primary location, including Operations, HR, Facilities, IT and Success among others;
- Drive a culture of performance feedback.
Support and scope out expansion to other locations in your country and region.
- Make recommendations to Andela leadership about future locations in Rwanda;
- Be part of a larger team to design and execute Andela’s growth strategy.
- Top tier degree from a leading academic institution;
- 7+ years of professional experience in management consulting and/or operations, with strong leadership components.
EPIC Values Alignment
- Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology;
- The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family.
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, Lunch and snacks provided at the office daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.