The Solar Revolution needs you!
The Solar Revolution needs you! BBOXX is a UK based company providing an affordable, upgradeable solar solutions to meet off-grid customers’ energy needs. We are fully vertically integrated, controlling every part of our customer experience. Our market leading products and appliances coupled with our SMART Solar platform bring machine-learning and customer experience optimisation to rural Africa. Our ground-breaking financing structure has brought off-grid solar into the World’s financial markets. Whilst our human centred design approach to our retail business ensures that the BBOXX eco-system is poised to massively scale during 2018. With over 100,000 systems deployed so far 200 staff across 5 offices in China, UK and East Africa are waking up every morning to work with BBOXX to electrify 20M people by 2020. We invite you to join us on this journey to electrify rural Africa.
Title: Support Engineer
Reports to: Lead Support Engineer
Location: Kigali HQ
Purpose: Monitor and provide technical support to BBOXX DESCOs (energy companies) focusing on the performance of BBOXX solar home systems and appliances. Through remote support and in-person the Support Engineer coaches and implements technical process, conduct investigations and management warranty claims of DESCOs. Finally they provide clear reports to the BBOXX teams in London and China on failures
- Investigate hardware issues remotely and in-person
- Investigate GSM connectivity issues remotely and in-person
- Investigate Lead acid and Lithium ion battery issues
- Monitor portfolio performance and maintenance costs
- Manage and report on investigations conducted by technicians
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to repair team
- Clearly and concisely report issues to team in UK
- Recommend improvements to products and processes to technical team
- Managing technical field testing of new appliances
Description of tasks
- Analysis of the logs of units
- Analysis of the SMART solar data and refurbishment data
- Verifying warranty claims
- Troubleshooting PCBs
- Conducting technical audits in DESCOs
- Planning tests to validate investigation hypotheses
- Educating technicians on repair best practice
- Working with appliance introduction team to monitor introductions of new appliances
- Producing reports on investigation of technical issues
- Clearly articulating investigations to Engineering team in UK
- Monitoring iterative product improvements and the impact on product performance
- Recommend system improvements for monitoring and processing repairs of products
- Overseeing East Africa product support activities
The candidate must have a degree in electronics or related subject and has worked in a technical position for three years.
Personal traits should include:
- Electronics hardware understanding: Having studied electronics you have a grounding in hardware electronics and how electronic appliances operate, you are confident using this knowledge to troubleshoot PCBs and understand different types of batteries.
- Electronics testing experience. Employ electronics knowledge to; prepare test scripts, manage tests and produce test reports for electronics appliances.
- Mobile networks experience: You understand how mobile network function and the problems that can arise with having 10,000s of products communicating through mobile networks.
- Analytical skill: You can manipulate a dashboard to do failure rate analysis and communicate the results in a clearly and concisely around to different teams in the business. Ideally, you can write SQL to pull data from our database and answer support questions.
- Structured problem solver: You have experience solving electronic hardware issues and software problems, applying root cause analysis techniques and clearly articulating your method and findings.
- You are an excellent communicator: You will be communicating technical information with some of London’s most talented engineers and also our 3rd party DESCOs where professionalism is essential. You need to be flexible, patient and persistent. Please tell us about when you’ve had to communicate technical information in cross-cultural situations. Fluency in French is a bonus.
- You deliver and expect the best: At BBOXX, we all strive to deliver extraordinary work to grow the solar revolution. We also expect others to do the same. Please share with us stories when you’ve had to push yourself to achieve a goal.
I……………………………………………………………………………………… acknowledge that I am familiar with this job description and understand that it provides only the general scope of activity and the basic tasks and responsibilities associated with the position. This job description supersedes all previous job descriptions and is subject to change following consultation with my supervisor.
EMPLOYEE’S SIGNATURE DATE
SUPERVISOR’S SIGNATURE DATE
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their applications to: email@example.com before the 28/02/2018. Please include The Job Title in the subject line of your email.