Job at Energy 4 Impact : SIR Technology Specialist (Deadline: 21 March 2018)
Position: SIR Technology Specialist
Reports to: Agriculture Project Technical Manager
Energy 4 Impact is a UK charity seeking to reduce poverty in Africa through accelerated access to modern energy products and services. To do this we support the development of a broad range of micro and small businesses and project companies in the energy economy, by providing them with high-quality financial, technical and business management support services so that they can grow and deliver access to energy in off-grid areas.
In Rwanda, E4I has developed a new project called Solar Irrigation Project in Rwanda (SIR), funded by The Opec Fund for International Development (OFID), which aims to improve Rwandese smallholder farmer livelihoods and improve the nation’s food security by enabling greater levels of adoption of small scale solar irrigation (SSSI). This project will create the conditions for the development of a sustained market to evolve – which in turn means our aim is to ensure all the actors (farmers, suppliers, lenders, government) have the capacity, and incentives, to fulfil their roles in the market on an ongoing basis. This programme will comprise of two project phases:
- Phase 1: Supporting 3,000 farmers over 24 months to gain access to the appropriate solar irrigation equipment, through an awareness-raising campaign including installation of 10 demonstration sites.
- Phase 2: Scaling up project to support an additional 10,000 farmers in 3 years.
The SIR Technology specialist will provide the required technical expertise to support the development of the solar irrigation sub-sector by offering all technical advice required.
S/he will be actively involved in data collection to inform the project players on appropriate solar irrigation equipment and systems to reach the SIR targets, troubleshooting all technical issues related to demonstration sites and the roll-out of irrigation equipment to the target population, and designing appropriate training modules to ensure all actors in the project understand the technology.
- Provide technical support in implementing solar irrigation projects to the management team and other project team members and partners;
- Assist the Technical Project Manager to identify and select the most feasible and financially viable Suppliers;
- Carry out surveys, fieldwork and site monitoring visits of SIR activities in close collaboration with technology suppliers and Farmers;
- Evaluate/review technical specifications of the solar equipment and their capacity to perform the work intended by the farmers and projected by the programme;
- Organize and deliver technical training to selected solar irrigation equipment suppliers;
- Build positive relationships with local Government, RAB and other Technical stakeholders during the entire project implementation period, including the solar irrigation equipment selection process and farmer awareness campaign;
- Provide technical support to suppliers throughout the implementation of the projects;
- Support solar irrigation suppliers and farmers during site assessments and in the development of feasibility and business plans;
- Participate in evaluation, monitoring and data collection activities in the project;
- Support the finance and management team in ensuring the budget is followed accurately for its intended purpose, and the technology used in the project delivers value for money;
- Assist in project reporting and provide feedback to the Project Technical Manager on all developments around the irrigation technologies and activities in the field;
- Building strong working relationship with partners involved in the programme implementation phase;
- Provide effective linkages between the project’s partners and suppliers and identify new partners where possible;
Required skills and experience
- University degree in Electrical Engineering or other related field with 5 years’ experience in the solar energy sector and off-grid systems and electricity distribution in Rwanda and East Africa;
- Expertise in renewable energy and other cross-cutting theme such as climate change;
- Knowledge of the energy sector in Rwanda, its regulation and Local Government structure;
- Experience of implementing donor-funded and/or technical projects;
- Comfort with the entrepreneurial culture of a fast-growing organization in an ever-changing industry;
- Experience of working with smallholder farmers and/or energy SMEs;
- Strong understanding of renewable energy technologies and business models and/or of infrastructure management commercial arrangements required.
- High level of inter-personal and presentation skills and an ability to communicate clearly and collaborate at a senior level with colleagues, SMEs, public agencies and other stakeholders;
- A can-do and collaborative mind set – comfort with the ambiguities and demands of a rapidly evolving environment;
- Excellent written and analytical skills is crucial;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda; Knowledge of French is a plus;
- Ability to travel frequently in remote areas of the country.
Please apply to Info Rwanda firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 21st March, 2018.
Energy 4 Impact is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.