Job at EUCL : Head of Legal Services (Deadline: 17 April 2017)
The Energy Sector in Rwanda is undergoing a process of reform and a comprehensive program of renewal and expansion of electricity infrastructure is underway to ensure growth of the network to meet current and future supply requirements with a high level of reliability. The Energy Utility Corporation Limited (EUCL) is a Subsidiary of the Rwanda Energy Group (REG) one of the Successor entities from the former EWSA. EUCL took over EWSA utility operations including the associated generation plants, transmission and distribution network and all adjoining facilities thereto.
Description, duties, responsibilities
This role will be responsible for developing, directing and managing the strategic legal activities and overseeing the implementation of good governance principles and providing statutory and legal advice across the entire organization.
Key Responsibilities: Brief description of duties or the responsibilities for the job.
- Develop legal policies, process and procedures in line with the Rwandan law and the strategic objectives of Energy Development Company.
- Update the company legal policy in accordance to new laws, and communicate the same to the different stakeholders
- Take the lead in the development and reviewing of various policies for Energy Development Company Ltd
- Provide guidance on legal and governance issues or matters that may arise for the Organization’s compliance with the relevant legislation and best practice.
- Assist in the provision of legal support to all other departments in the organisation.
Contract Management and Negotiation
- Lead in the drafting and negotiation of contracts to include contract negotiation in coordination with the Electric Utility legal services.
- Review and execute contract documents involved, evaluate legal disputes arising there from or otherwise advising on appropriate legal positions to be taken in the Organization’s best interest.
- Conduct legal analysis and develop recommendations with respect to legal aspects of investment proposals
- Conduct or lead negotiations of investments on behalf of EUCL and coordination of negotiations with stakeholders.
- Support in the overall negotiation process of all power projects across all sub sectors
- Represent the REG and Energy Development Company in courts of law and provide legal advice
- Prepare legal opinions and undertake research on matters relating to the mandate of the Authority.
- Provide overall leadership of the legal department and Supervise and manage the performance and development of staff in the department in line with the Organization’s goals, objectives, policies and regulations.
- Develop a departmental annual work plan and financial budget and monitor their implementation in line with EDC Business plan
- Good knowledge of Rwandan Laws
- Analytical and investigative skills
- Communication and presentation skills
- High standards of professionalism and integrity
- Result and team oriented
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal skills.
Requirements and Skills
- A Masters in Law. A Juris Doctor (JD) in law would be an added advantage.
- At least seven (07) years of relevant professional experience related to corporate/commercial transactions in a reputable company or law firm
- Excellent analytical and contract drafting skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; the knowledge of French is an added value.
- Excellent presentation skills including a demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas clearly and tactfully to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work in a multicultural working environment.