Job at Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) : Communication Advisor (Deadline: 8 December 2017 )
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) in Rwanda is recruiting an
in the programme
“Umusemburo w’Ireme ry’Uburezi – Leading, Teaching and Learning Together” (2017-2021)
VVOB, The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) is a Belgian non-profit organisation that focuses on improving the quality of education.
In cooperation with Rwanda Education Board (REB), the University of Rwanda – College of Education (URCE) and affiliated Teacher Training Colleges (TTC), VVOB started in 2017 with a new multi-year programme on Leading, Teaching and Learning Together (2017-2021). The cooperation programme aims to improve the quality of primary education through strenghtening the existing education system in Rwanda, with a focus on improvement of the professional development of school leaders and induction of new teachers. VVOB is currently expanding this programme in Secondary Education.
At the same time, VVOB explores other opportunities for strengthening their support to the Rwandan Government.
In this context, VVOB is currently looking for a Communication Advisor to coordinate, stimulate and support internal and external communication of the programmes and to increase awareness, understanding and support for the programmes in Rwanda.
Position in the organisation
The Communication Advisor works in close cooperation with the IT and Communication Officer, as well as with the MEAL (Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning) Advisor and Officer. The Communication Advisor reports directly to the Education Manager. Collaboration with VVOB headquarters in Brussels will be mainly with the Communication Advisors.
Purpose of the function
The communication objectives of VVOBs programmes are to increase awareness and share evidence-based insights on:
- The impact of effective school leadership on the school as a learning organization and on learning outcomes;
- The impact of effective teaching on learning outcomes;
- The impact of School Leadership and Teacher support services on Head Teachers’ and teachers’ competences (focus on new teachers);
The purpose of the function of Communication Advisor is to coordinate, stimulate and support internal and external communication of the programmes and to increase awareness, understanding and support by stakeholders and different target groups. Furthermore, the communication advisor provides advice, information and guidance to colleagues and partners on communication strategies, channels and instruments in the framework of the joint partner-VVOB programmes.
The Communication Advisor acts as an expert, quality caretaker and role model.
As a technical expert, the Communication Advisor offers technical advice, guidance and support to the colleagues and programme partners to achieve programme results:
- Design and monitor a programme communication strategy for internal and external communication, including, but not limited, to:
- Determining goals
- Identifying target audiences
- Determining resources
- Formulating key messages
- Identifying most effective and efficient communication materials
- Determining channels of communication
- Determining evaluation methods for communication actions and strategy
- Communicate and inform the programme’s communication strategy to all relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinate and monitor the implementation of the communication strategy, and help colleagues and programme partners to develop and contextualize programme related communication messages and materials;
- Monitor and adjust the communication strategy according to new insights and changing needs / context;
- Identify training needs of colleagues and programme partners in terms of developing programme communication messages and materials based on the programme communication strategy;
- Set up a training plan for colleagues and programme partners;
- Develop a manual/training package on formulating and developing communication messages, tools and publications adjusted to different target groups;
- Strengthen the capacity of colleagues and programme partners regarding communication material development (organize trainings, workshops, coaching…) according to the training plan;
As a quality caretaker and role model, the communication advisor coordinates and contributes to the development of internal and external communication materials and messages:
- Proofread and edit programme related communication materials like newsletters, website, presentations;
- Search for and maintain contact with relevant press and media;
- Develop a press toolkit;
- Ensure coherence with VVOB’s identity and overall communication strategy, instruments, materials and messages;
- Contribute to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and sharing pro-actively lessons learned between partners, colleagues and other VVOB country teams in the domain of internal and external communication;
- Keep abreast with trends, new developments and thinking in internal and external communication and share new insights with partners and VVOB colleagues.
The Communication Advisor performs any other duties assigned by supervisors in line with the position holder’s capacities.
Knowledge and experience:
- Master’s degree in journalism, communication or equivalent by experience;
- At least five years’ experience in a similar position. Experience in the international development sector is an asset;
- Expertise and experience with the use of different media (magazines, digital learning platforms, social media);
- Excellent command of the English language (verbal and written) with a proven ability to rewrite technical information for non-experts;
- Excellent computer skills in a full range of software, including: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop and/or other graphics programs, digital mediums and social tools;
- Understanding of the Rwandan Education sector is an asset;
- Experience with working in a multicultural team;
- Able and willing to travel in – country for short periods of time.
Nationality: Rwandan Citizen
- Fluent in English, with excellent writing and editing skills
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda
- Fluent in French (additional asset)
- VVOB core competences:
- Result orientation
- Continuous improvement
- Function specific competences:
- Analytical and synthesizing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 360° Empathy
- Development oriented
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Start date: as soon as possible
- A dynamic working environment in an international context;
- An exciting job with varied responsibilities;
- Professional development opportunities;
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
Submit a motivation letter and your C.V. by Friday 8 December 2017 to Mrs. Jeanne d’Arc Usanase [email protected]
For more info you can contact Mrs. Jeanne d’Arc Usanase [email protected]