JOB AT High Commission of Canada in Rwanda : Deputy Mission Administrative Officer : ( Deadline: 14 June 2019 )
Job Ref: 3348
Job Title: Deputy Mission Administrative Officer
Salary: RWF 22,565,595 gross per annum
Vacancy type: Indeterminate
This position is a LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in Rwanda.
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Closing date for applications: 14-06-2019 At midnight UTC+1 / GMT+1
Summary of position:
Under the supervision of the Head of Office (Kigali) and the general direction of the Management Consular Officer (High Commission of Canada to Kenya, Nairobi), the Deputy Mission Administrative Officer organizes and directs the Mission Administration Program in Kigali by: planning and implementing the Mission’s financial management program; overseeing reporting, accounting, and control of Mission budget; directing mission human resource administration; planning and overseeing mission real property and materiel administration; supported by Nairobi Information Technology Professionals, coordinates the mission’s communications and information systems encompassing telephones, voice messaging, facsimile, and various computer systems; planning, organizing, and directing mission logistical support services including mail, messenger services, transportation, logistics, and customs clearances; assisting the Readiness and Security Program Manager (Nairobi) with the implementation of Mission security requirements and supports Mission Emergency Management activities; Performing other duties. Directly supervises two office administrative staff.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
Successfully completed a master’s degree from a recognized university or college with a major in commerce, finance, business or public administration
Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or college with a major in commerce, finance, business or public administration and demonstrated training and experience in leadership in these areas.
• Fluent in English– reading, writing, comprehension and speaking
• Fluent in French – reading, writing, comprehension and speaking
• Recent and extensive* experience in government or the private sector in a minimum of three of the following areas: finance, human resources, real property management, materiel management, information technology management and procurement.
• Recent* experience in supervision of at least three employees. Note that experience in supervision means supervising others directly and/or overseeing work by others who do not necessarily report to you.
• Experience managing budgets
• Experience in researching issues, analyzing information, in writing comprehensive reports and making recommendations.
* The terms “recent” and “extensive” mean a minimum of 3 years’ experience within the past 5 years.
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral interview, role-play, practical tests, presentations and/or psychometric assessment.
• Generally-accepted principles, regulations, policies, procedures and practices in the public and private sectors in at least two of the areas mentioned under experience as well as one other area.
• Ability to organize people, materials and resources
• Ability to manage a budget
• Ability to work to short deadlines
• Ability to lead teams
• Effective Interactive Communication
• Adaptability and Flexibility
• Client Focus
• Commitment to Public Confidence/Values and Ethics
• Focus on Quality and Details
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Initiative and Judgement
Preference may be given to candidates who meet the Asset Qualifications. Where applicable, candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet any asset qualifications in their cover letter and CV.
• Qualification/certification in project management
• Experience working for an Embassy or High Commission
• Experience working for the Government of Canada
• Knowledge of Global Affairs Canada’s organizational structure and programs
• Fluency in Kinyarwanda – reading, writing, comprehension and speaking
• Experience with contracting and procurement processes
• Occasional overtime
• Occasional domestic and international travel
Condition(s) of Employment:
• The successful candidate will be required to obtain and maintain a Government of Canada Reliability Status (RS), which includes criminal and credit background check, covering the entire employment period.
• Candidates must have a valid work authorization covering the entire employment period. If the employment is indeterminate, the work authorization should be permanent or itself lead to a permanent work authorization.
• Before an offer of employment can be made, candidates must provide a local address as proof of residence in the specific city, region or country so that if selected, it will appear on the offer letter.
• Valid passport
Area of selection:
Open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of Rwanda, located in the vicinity of Kigali, eligible to work, meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Office of the High Commission of Canada in Kigali does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
• Candidates are required to upload a cover letter and CV in English or French. Applications which do not include the requested documents or information in the CV or cover letter will be rejected. Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
• Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to: [email protected] prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
• Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French). Candidates are entitled to participate in the recruitment process in the official language of Canada of their choice and to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
• Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
• Candidates who apply to this vacancy should include an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
• Reference checks will be sought for candidates that reach interview stage and may form part of the selection process.
• The Office of the High Commission of Canada in Kigali, Rwanda does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
• The Government of Canada is also committed to creating inclusive and barrier-free selection processes and work environments. Please share your needs in a timely manner for which accommodations must be made to allow a fair and equitable assessment. Information received about accommodation will be treated confidentially..
• The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the Office of the High Commission of Canada in Kigali, Rwanda which might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.