Job at RWANDA ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY : Director of Climate Change and International Obligations (Deadline: 29 May 2018)
Function and tasks: 1. Advise on measures to combat climate change and cope with its impacts
– Coordinate the preparation and implementation of strategy and regulatory frameworks and instruments towards mitigation and adaptation of the country on climate change;
– Periodically coordinate, verify and review available literature, specific data and other sources of information, and update on climate change portal;
– Timely provide quality information and technical advice on climate change issues and policies;
– Contribute to efforts to mobilize additional resources from the carbon market, special climate change funds, Global Environment Facility, GCF, adaptation fund and other potential funds 2. Liaise with national and international stakeholders to deal with climate change issues
– Organize and coordinate multi
– stakeholder climate change working group;
– Cooperate with other directorates and institutions to integrate climate change in national programs and plans;
– Initiate capacity building programs initiatives related to climate change mitigation and adaptation within REMA and stakeholders
– Coordinate the preparation and submission of different mandatory climate change reports such as NATCOMs, BUR, NDCs, NAMAs, NAPs and Follow up on substantive research on climate change issues;
3. Ensure alignment of projects proposals with the country priorities to mobilize resources through various national and international climate financing mechanisms
– Provide technical advice on opportunities and emerging issues related to climate change and climate change responses measures;
– Provide technical advice related to endorsement of projects to be submitted to Global Environment Facility (GEF), Green Climate Fund (GCF) and other international climate funding mechanisms;
– Provide technical advice and assistance on grant, loan, projects and non
– lending products and services related to climate change mitigation and adaptation activities;
– Provide technical advice on grant, loan and technical assistance (TA) projects and non
– lending products and services related to the implementation of international environmental conventions;
– Provide technical advice on endorsement of climate change technology to be transferred in all sectors to build climate resilience and low carbon development. 4. Coordinate and facilitate the Implementation of multilateral environmental agreements
– Coordinate, in collaboration with relevant focal points, activities related to the implementation and domestication of Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs) and other International Environmental Obligations.
– Provide technical inputs in negotiating and implementing regional and international conventions, protocols and treaties relating to environmental management.
– Lead technical climate change negotiations and liaise the country and UNFCCC.
– Promote synergy in the implementation of regional and international conventions, protocols and treaties related to environmental management and climate change
“Bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources; Environmental Sciences,geography, Development Studies .with 3 years experience or master in natural Resources, Environmental Sciences, geography and development Studies
Key Technical Skills & Knowledge required:
– Negotiation & influencing skills
– Planning and organisation skills
– Communication, reporting and writing skills
– Interpersonal and team working skills
– Spoken and written English and Swahili skills
– Understanding Rwanda’s environment system
– knowldge in international standards of environment.