JOB AT Sustainable Development Goals Center for Africa : Business Private Sector Specialist : ( Deadline : 5 April 2019 )
The Sustainable Development Goals Center for Africa (The SDGC/A) is an autonomous non-profit international organization headquartered in Kigali, Rwanda. The SDGC/A was opened in July 2016 with the mission to support governments, civil society, businesses and academic institutions to accelerate progress towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). For general information about The Sustainable Development Center for Africa, please visit our homepage at: www.sdgcafrica.org
The SDGC/A intends to recruit a Private Sector Specialist to work with the multidisciplinary team of The Center and partners towards supporting design of policies, strategies, advisory and training frameworks; and programs implementation to accelerate private sector development and Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) in Africa to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
Job Title Business Private Sector Specialist
Supervisor Director General
Contract International Recruited Staff Services
Category International Staff
Duration Initial appointment of one year
Location The SDGC/A Headquarters, Kigali – Rwanda
Salary Competitive package based on qualification and experiences
Starting Date May 2019
Under supervision of the Director General, the Business Private Sector Specialist will facilitate the process to establish and nurture Public-Private Partnerships for sustainable business development, growth and capacity building to increase access to business opportunities embracing the principles of equity and leaving no one behind across Africa.
Key Functions & Responsibilities
1. Partnership: To create and sustain strategic Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) for supporting The SDG Center for Africa, African governments, academia, research institutions, corporations, foundations and private sector investors to support and expand business knowledge, opportunities and funding.
2. Business Incubation: To enable Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) and African business communities in general to produce earned income on sustainable ways through collaborations with diversified partnering agencies and non-profits organizations.
3. Capacity Building: To design and provide a comprehensive package of capacity building and development activities for supporting entrepreneurs, technical and institutional development of partners on business initiations and incentives in Africa countries.
4. Business Creation: To prevail, articulate and promote the investment potential and opportunities SDGs have to the private sector;
5. Research and Development: To encourage the private sector to support SDGs implementation trough harnessing research and development; and
6. Business Promotion: Encourage business to promote sustainable and responsible businesses through Initiating and promoting PPP business innovative structures and approaches within The SDG Center for Africa to promote business in Africa and empower less advantage groups in business with focus on women;
7. Private Sector Support: Other tasks given by the DG related to business and private sector initiatives.
Qualifications & Skills
At least Master’s degree in Business Studies, Public Policy, Business Administration, Development Studies, International Development, International Relations, Economics or related field.
Preferably a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience in private sector, business, development; and supervision of programs related to business, capacity building, policy analysis and program financing.
Entrepreneurial attitude with depth analytical skills in business development and group empowerment.
Skilled in successful cooperation and network with international private sector working on development and core business perspective.
Demonstrated understanding and experience in working with government agencies and international organizations in development and business programs.
Ability to work independently and with the team with proven international experience working in development, business and capacity building in several countries.
Excellent organizing skills and interpersonal skills; facilitation, communication and negotiation skills.
Excellent command of English, additional knowledge of French, Portuguese or Arabic would be added value.
Identified business opportunities for incubation and sustained partnership and collaborations.
Organized business executive training, conferences and capacity building session to improve business creation, ownership and managing by African women.
Instigated business stimulus to benefit SMEs from available incentives in place.
Established PPP business innovative structures and approaches to promote business in Africa and empower less advantage groups in business.
Designed models and viable business plans for incubation, funding and scaling up.
Registered contributions (resources and research) from public, academia and private sector to improve business environment.
Interested candidates fulfilling requirements should send their application (only in pdf format) composed of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of academic certificates and other relevant work certificates to [email protected] by 16:30 pm on Friday, 5th April 2019.
Note: This position is categorized as international recruited staff and women are highly encouraged to apply.