Job at The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) : Education Advisors/Coordinators (Deadline: 17 November 2017 )
The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance (VVOB) in Rwanda is recruiting
in the programme
“Umusemburo w’Ireme ry’Uburezi – Leading, Teaching and Learning Together (LT)2” (2017-2021)
VVOB, The Flemish Association for Development Cooperation and Technical Assistance, is a Belgian non-profit organisation that focuses on improving the quality of education.
In cooperation with Rwanda Education Board (REB), the University of Rwanda – College of Education (URCE), VVOB started in 2017 with a new multi-year programme on Leading, Teaching and Learning Together – (LT)2 (2017-2021). The cooperation programme aims to improve the quality of education through improvement of the professional development of school leaders and induction of new teachers. The programme focuses on improving quality of basic education through school leadership and induction of new teachers. The programme has different result areas on these components:
On School Leadership:
- A CPD Diploma course on Effective School Leadership, developed and implemented by URCE;
- Continuous professional development in Professional Learning Networks of head teachers, lead and coached by trained Sector Education Officers.
On Induction of Newly Qualified Teachers:
- Mentoring of New Teachers during their induction by trained mentor teachers.
- Monitoring and supervision of New Teachers during their induction by trained tutors.
VVOB is currently looking for 3 Education Advisors/Coordinators to strengthen our team. (S)he works in a team of Education Advisors and reports directly to the Education Manager.
The Education Advisor/Coordinator is an education expert on School Leadership and/or Teacher Professional Development who provides advice to VVOB and VVOB’s partners and coordinates the development, implementation and evaluation of a result area in the programmes on “Leading, Teaching and Learning Together”, in close collaboration with REB and URCE.
As an Education expert and Advisor, the Education Advisor/Coordinator:
- Provides technical advice, guidance and support on School Leadership and/or Teacher Professional Development for strategic planning and for managing and monitoring the programme, consistent with the specific objective, including exit strategies;
- Provides technical advice, guidance and support for developing, implementing and supporting effective and relevant contextualized School Leadership and/or Teacher Professional Development systems and practices directed at professionalizing school leadership and teachers, tailored to the organizational characteristics of REB and URCE;
- Takes up a variety of roles in the capacity development process of the partners according to the needs of the partner and particular situations and phases of the programme.
As a Quality Caretaker, the Education Advisor/Coordinator:
- Guarantees the coherence with VVOB’s definition of quality education and VVOB’s education portfolio, including gender equity;
- Ensures compliance with VVOB’s financial policies and guidelines including adherence with accounting principles and requirements and efficient and responsible use of resources;
- Takes up an active role in monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the programme, including gender equity, in close collaboration with the partner;
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development by systemizing lessons learned and sharing pro-actively lessons learned between partners, colleagues and other VVOB country teams;
- Keeps abreast with policy trends, new developments and latest research and thinking in education and international development by external and internal networking and shares new insights with partners and VVOB colleagues.
As a Coordinator for a result area, (s)he is responsible for:
- Planning, monitoring and evaluating strategies and activities for a result area;
- Ensuring effective and efficient use of resources for a result area;
- Ensuring alignment and coherence with other result areas and the broader programmes;
- Compiling intermediate and annual reports for a result area;
- Being the contact person for VVOB partners and colleagues with regard to a result area;
- Proactively setting up meetings with partners and colleagues to discuss programmatic issues linked to the specific result area.
The Education Advisor/Coordinator performs any other duties assigned by the Programme Manager, in line with the position holder’s capacities.
Knowledge and experience:
- Master in Human Sciences or equivalent by experience
- Knowledge of and/or experience with programme management, preferably Project Cycle Management
- An in-depth understanding of:
- The Rwandan education system, in particular directed at professionalizing school leadership and/or teacher professional development;
- Latest developments and research in the education sector in general and teacher development and school leadership in particular.
- Experience with change management and capacity development processes in the context of educational institutions like teacher training institutions, in-service providers for teachers and school leaders and ministries of education.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with equity and gender in education;
- Experience with working in a multicultural team;
- Able and willing to travel in – country and abroad for short periods of time;
- Able to work under pressure and keep a good sense of humour;
- Experience with Knowledge Management and Communication is an asset.
Contract type: Local, full time
- Fluent in English, with excellent writing and editing skills
- Fluent in Kinyarwanda (additional asset)
- Fluent in French (additional asset)
- VVOB core competences:
- Result orientation
- Continuous improvement
- Function specific competences
- Analytical and synthesizing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 360° Empathy
- Development oriented
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Start date: 1 position to start immediately, the other 2 positions are subject to donor approval for grant funding, expected start date January 1.
- A dynamic working environment in an international context;
- An exciting job with varied responsibilities;
- Professional development opportunities;
- A competitive salary and benefits package.
Submit a motivation letter and your C.V. by Friday 17 November 2017 to Mrs. Jeanne d’Arc Usanase [email protected]
For more info you can contact Mrs. Jeanne d’Arc Usanase [email protected]