Job at World Vision International (Rwanda): Livelihood Officer (Deadline: 01 September 2017)
World Vision International (Rwanda) is a child focused Christian humanitarian organization implementing development programs in 15 Districts of Rwanda.
World Vision Rwanda seeks to hire a highly qualified, dedicated and experienced national for the position of Livelihood Officer. The position will be based in Rutsiro district and reporting to the Project Coordinator for Mukura Saemaul Zero Hunger Community.
Purpose of the position:
The Livelihood Officer will be responsible for providing technical assistance aspect to beneficiaries identified and benefited from livestock, including household economic strengthening though small stocks rearing, Design training modules and carry out training of beneficiaries on livestock management (feeding, diseases prevention using climate friendly prophylactic measures, reproduction cycle, farm records etc). He/ she will be mainly responsible for the health of animals distributed, tracking cattle inventory for each and every household/ benefited from livestock. Reporting on monthly and quarterly basis the progress of livestock development in the area of intervention focusing on cattle distributed in community.
The major responsibilities include:
- In consultation with RAB- advice on appropriate species and varieties for livestock- area of provenance and support in the process of getting valid certificates approving the purchase of livestock which are planned for.
- Ensure selection of livestock beneficiaries is done prior to distribution of those,
- Establish criteria for eligibility of each type of livestock- based on established qualifications – in consultation with district and sector veterinaries and officials.
- Train selected beneficiaries- per category of livestock to be distributed to them, on technics for rearing livestock, including housing, feeding, reproduction and balanced health maintenance.
- Build the capacity for beneficiaries on pre-conditions and activities which should be undertaken prior to receiving the livestock.
- Responsible of performing animal health inspection and health services or first aid at the before the distribution of livestock and after distribution to the selected beneficiaries.
- Regular observation of animal patient for changes in behavior so as to take appropriate decision;
- Carry out animals treatment by giving medications ( drugs), administer and injections in accordance with the diagnosis of diseases results
- Ensure a regular visits – follow up of households who benefited from livestock- to monitor healthy conditions of livestock and advice- where needed adopt appropriate treatment.
- Maintain and monitor the livestock records keeping and prepare for clear cascading plan for the redistribution of livestock.
- Maintain relationship between the organizations and direct stakeholders in the sector;
- Maintain health certificate and vaccination certificate files and be able to work all shifts when needed
- Facilitating the wellbeing of all livestock through the adoption of improved animal management and productivity practices in health care, husbandry and quality assurance standards by beneficiaries in all projects and programs.
- Designing and updating training curriculum and developing training materials on animal health, husbandry, Fodder production and conservation and animal-related issues and arranging trainings for project partners and participants.
- Build innovation in animal production for smallholder farmers, cooperatives/producer associations, etc., to increase efficiency and effectiveness and with the Director of Programs and Project Coordinators develop business hubs of cooperatives that have backward and forward linkages into the total value chain
- Facilitate training on Animal health production and participate fully in the participatory disease surveillance
- Provide technical advisory related to veterinary services to the District and cell and manage the breed improvement strategy for livestock.
- Oversee the implementation of the Mass Vaccination Activities
- Supervise the management of the Community Agro-vets, Mobile Veterinary Clinics and Community forums on the Participatory Disease
- Surveillance and Value Chain Addition.
- Compile comprehensive veterinary monthly reports and make sure all veterinary revenues are remitted .Assist in conducting regular meetings with local administration on Animal Health activities and handle complaints and feedback raised at the community level;
- Assist in the implementation of the plan of action, review achievements and constraints and provide feedback accordingly;
- Report periodically to the project coordinator on the relevant events regarding Animal Health activities;
- Identify potential problems in the programme and discuss remedial action with project authorities or report to appropriate personnel;
- Assist with organizing Donor and VIP missions to FDP Sites
- Co-ordinate disease search, data collection, analyses and write technical disease and Pest reports.
- Coordinate sample collection, dispatch, and animal vaccinations and enforce livestock movement regulations.
- Regularly attend and actively participate in morning devotions
- Carry out any other duties assigned.
- Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.
- Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training.
A Bachelor’s Degree in Veterinary Science, Animal Production or equivalent plus two years of job-related experience is required or Diploma (A1) in with at least proven 5 years’experience in working with livestock programs.
- Familiar with small stock management training delivery, diseases treatment, feeding, vaccinating, surgery and cesarean operations;
- Experienced in farm record and gross margin data collection and computing;
- Being a member or a closer to Veterinary Doctor body of Rwanda;
- Preferred: Project cycle management experience, strong leadership, reporting and organizational skills.
Technical Skills & Abilities:
- Must be able to work in a team.
- Must have a motorcycle driving license, category A.
- Must be willing to work and live in a demanding/challenging environment.
- Experience gained with NGOs particularly World Vision would be an advantage.
- Familiar with Rwanda divers Ministries and especially with Food security working system.
- Good listening skills and capacity to observe and analyze complex situations.
- Computer skills (MsWord, Ms Excel, etc) would be an added advantage.
- Ability to speak read and write both in French and English.
- The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience:
- Three months
How to apply:
Should you wish to apply for this position, please go to http://careers.wvi.org/job-opportunities-in-rwanda
If this is your first time applying online via the World Vision International careers website, you will need to register an account along with your application details. This site will provide you with additional functionality, such as saved searches and email alerts. Registration requires minimal information to create your account. Further details will be collected during the application process
All applicants must apply using our online application system, CVs received via email or standard post will NOT be considered.
In case you face any challenges in applying, please let us know on email@example.com(no applications will be accepted through this email)
The closing date for submission of applications is 1st September, 2017; no late applications will be accepted
As a child focused organization, World Vision is committed to the protection of children and does not employ staff whose background is not suitable for working with children. All employment is conditional upon successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks