Rwanda Energy Specialist job Position at RTI International
RTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA of approximately 5000 employees with 30 years of worldwide experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We have extensive experience implementing a variety of projects worldwide focusing on legal/regulatory reform of the energy sector, improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks, and increasing underserved populations’ access to energy.
In November 2018 RTI was awarded the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) task order under Power Africa (USAID). Rwanda is a priority country for EAEP, as are Kenya, Tanzania, and Ethiopia. This 4-year task order will run through December 2022.
In support of this work, RTI International is seeking an Energy Specialist to be based in Kigali, Rwanda. The successful candidate for this position is expected to provide energy sector technical support to Rwandan energy institutions and to USAID regional and local missions in support of Power Africa goals to provide greater access to high quality energy services, connect additional customers to the grid, and reduce the cost of electricity to consumers.
The advisor will work closely with the Rwanda Technical Lead (already in place) to support capacity building for Rwandan institutions, utility performance improvement, improved energy sector planning, and for the Ministry and regulator, improved ability to oversee the sector. The work will be a combination of technical/advisory work and reporting, analysis, writing, and communication.
The incumbent should have a thorough understanding of the power sector in Rwanda as well as superior writing and communication skills in English, to be used in the preparation of technical reports, presentations, briefings, slide decks, and other deliverables Technical tasks to be undertaken may include support for planning and prioritization of infrastructure, strategy development to stimulate increased consumer demand for energy, support for procurement of transmission lines, and supporting analysis of regional electricity trade.
• Collaborate effectively with the Rwanda Technical Lead by providing technical assistance to different stakeholders in Rwanda
• Draft reports, analyses, and presentation on different topics that will serve as deliverables for either USAID or other stakeholders. Some deliverables will require succinct delivery of existing information and some will require analysis and presentation of new information using project data sources
• Assist in coordination of activities between EAEP Rwanda and project leadership
• Support training and capacity building efforts for Rwandan stakeholders
• Support Rwanda’s integration into regional energy markets
• Minimum bachelor’s degree in a discipline relevant to the power sector.
• Minimum of 7 years’ of relevant experience in the power sector with a focus on public policy, sector regulation, utility turnaround and improvement, and private sector investment with a preference for experience in Rwanda;
• Strong knowledge of the Rwandan power sector is essential. Knowledge of DRC and Burundi is desirable
• French language skill sufficient to operate effectively in Rwanda and read documents drafted in French is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• English language proficiency
• Excellent leadership, coordination, and organizational awareness skills
• Good listening/communication and client skills
• Superior computer skills, writing ability in English (writing sample required), and presentation skills
• Strong oral/written communication skills and ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization: and ability to coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government, NGO’s, and other agencies
• Ability to build effective relationships with all clients, peers, and stakeholders
• Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time; operating a computer and other office machinery; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between offices and laboratories; frequently conducting laboratory site inspections (if applicable), ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines, ability to work in excess of 40 hours per week as workload and deadlines may require, consistent demonstration of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI procedure 4.2.1.
RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services in health and pharmaceuticals, advanced technology, survey and statistics, education and training, economic and social development, and the environment. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as the first scientific organization in and centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.