Africa Regional Program Director, Coffee at TechnoServe: (Deadline 10 August 2020)
TechnoServe is a leader in harnessing the power of the private sector to help people lift themselves out of poverty. A nonprofit organization operating in 29 countries, we work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. By linking people to information, capital and markets, we have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities.
Founded over 50 years ago, TechnoServe has been named the #1 nonprofit for fighting poverty by the ImpactMatters charity ratings agency.
The Regional Program Director (RPD) provides strategic and technical oversight for the coffee practice area. The position’s key responsibility is to ensure a high quality of program design and implementation. Additionally, the position supports efforts to expand programming and capture and leverage expertise in a practice area.
TechnoServe leverages private enterprise to link people to new information, capital, and markets. It has equipped over 400,000 smallholder coffee households across Africa and Latin America to improve their incomes by boosting production, improving quality, promoting social and environmental stewardship, and facilitating linkages to premium markets. TechnoServe develops innovative approaches and builds relationships with both corporate and public partners to enable more smallholder coffee households to achieve livelihood security.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Oversees implementation of programs with a constant drive for improved quality
- Ensures sound managerial and financial performance of programs by overseeing the management of program budgets, work plans, monitoring systems and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Makes regular field visits and provide coaching of Program Managers and Senior Business Advisors (PMs/SBAs) to ensure program targets are met
- Recruits and retains quality managerial staff to implement coffee programs
- Supports the country teams to implement and document all stages of the Coffee Farm College and Sustainability Programs to ensure targets are met
- Manages relationships with national and international agro-input suppliers to ensure the required inputs are locally available
- Supports review, update and improvement of training in the Farm College training
- Supports annual review of sustainability standards, associated training and audit materials in the region
Innovation & learning
- Develops innovative approaches to TechnoServe’s work and share these innovations with the practice to promote the adoption of best practices
- Communicates progress, learnings and achievements of the programs internally to the regional practice area.
Strategy and new business development
- Supports identification of new and strategic program opportunities
- Assists in division and country-specific strategic planning related to the sector
Industry stakeholder management
- Supports sector partnerships and alliances in the region, overseeing program manager participation in national stakeholder
- Represents TechnoServe in relevant events in the region
- Performs other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in management, business administration, agricultural economics, international development or relevant field, or equivalent work experience
- At least 10 years of multinational experience in coffee value chain development, agribusiness, business strategy, industry analysis, financial management, and monitoring and evaluation
- Or Master’s Degree plus 7 years of experience in the areas listed above
- Experience working on donor funded projects
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong leadership, supervisory, problem-solving, communication and coordination skills required
- Demonstrated competency in program and staff management, coaching and team leadership
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills
- Exceptional interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Fluent user of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Verbal and written fluency in English
Travel – up to 30%
Reports to: Global Coffee Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: Regional Coffee Team including Country Manager, Program Manager and Portfolio Manager
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources at [email protected] or call +1 202 785 4515.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c).