Chief Legal Advisor and Company Secretary at RwandAir: (Deadline 10 October 2020)
This position is senior managerial role dual reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and the Chairperson Board of Directors. The job purpose is to develop, establish, lead, guide and monitor a legal and corporate governance strategy to mitigate risks and enable the business to achieve its revenue and growth objectives.
Manage the governance framework for the company and taking responsibility for company secretarial functions. Act as trusted advisor to the Board and its sub-committees on governance matters, monitoring that board and committee policy and procedures are followed, and generally advising the board on in corporate governance best practices.
Organizing and managing all aspects of the board meetings and shareholder meetings – board and committee papers and drafting and circulation of agendas (in consultation with Board and Committee chairs), minutes, discussion papers, and proposals.
Keep up to date with any regulatory or statutory changes and policies that might affect the company.
- Draft, negotiate, and vet contracts on behalf of the company to protect its interests.
- Developing and overseeing the systems that ensure the company complies with all applicable codes, as well as its legal and statutory requirements.
- Ensure company’s compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements to avoid legal penalties.
- Ensure RwandAir legal and regulatory framework is in compliance with relevant legislative/Industry requirements.
- Ensure disputes are resolved in a manner that safeguards the company’s position and in compliance with local and international aviation regulations.
- Brief and monitor external counsel to ensure legal representation is effective.
- Develop effective working relationships with key user departments to ensure their needs are understood and appropriate solutions developed that support business needs.
- Prepare proposals to lobby the government and other aviation bodies on pending legislation to protect and/or improve RwandAir business environment.
- Provide legal counselling so as to ensure legal problems and safety and security risks are identified and dealt with before they emerge as significant risk to the business.
- Act in an ethical, transparent and morally defensible manner, including highlighting unethical practices. Effective teamwork, self-management and alignment with company values.
Educational qualifications & Work experience:
- LLB undergraduate degree, A Master’s degree preferably in Law or related field7+ years’ management experience in a legal and/or company secretarial function
Skills critical to the role:
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relevant laws.
- Sound litigation, contract negotiation and management skills.
- Company secretarial skills and stakeholder management.
- Able to influence, negotiate and engage across functions, strong networking and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills, highly analytical and meticulous attention to detail combined with an ability to think laterally and holistically.
- Strong ethics, solution-focused, flexible thinker with a strong “can do” attitude.
How to apply:
- An application letter addressed to Director Human Resources;
- Recent Curriculum Vitae;
- Relevant certificates;
- Notarised copies of Academic diploma, degrees and certificates.
- A photocopy of Rwanda national identity card;
- Three referees
The deadline for submitting application documents is October 10th 2020 at 4pm local time. Send your application at [email protected]
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted