Communications Intern at ActionAid Rwanda (AAR): (Deadline 9 September 2020)
ActionAid Rwanda (AAR) is an Associate Member of ActionAid International (AAI) – an anti-poverty agency working with poor, voiceless people, communities, and similar-minded partners worldwide. ActionAid is a non-partisan, non-religious development organisation that has been working in Rwanda since 1982 to contribute towards eradication of poverty and injustices with a focus on tackling the root causes of poverty.
Currently, ActionAid Rwanda implements several activities in the areas of Agriculture, Education & Food security, Women’s Rights, and Poverty Eradication from 7 Local Right Programs (LRPs) including Nyanza, Gisagara, Ruheru, Murundi, Gitesi, Muko, and Shingiro LRPs.
The Communications Unit plays a key role in ensuring the visibility of AAR work and enhancing its brand. The Communications role is very vital to document and disseminate the achievements of the organisation to achieve visibility and build its brand.
AAR is seeking for applications from well qualified and self-motivated persons to fill the position of a Communications Intern.
1. PURPOSE OF THE JOB
This intern shall work under the direct supervision of the communications officer and work harmoniously with the Program and Policy team to build a strong and credible profile, image, and reputation of AAR using effective, creative, and innovative communication tools. The intern’s work will support the program team to raise the profile and improve the visibility of the programs and partnerships of ActionAid Rwanda at local, national and international levels and enhancing regular interaction, dialogue, and communication with the key stakeholders of AAR, including rights holders (women, children, youth and other people living in poverty) partners, AAR supporters.
The objective of having an intern in communications is to support the communications unit in the implementation of the communications Strategy of ActionAid Rwanda. The internship opportunity also aims at exposing young graduates to the work of ActionAid International in Rwanda, thus giving the required practical experience to the successful candidate.
The intern shall report to the communications officer and/or Head of Programs and Policy who shall also be the Supervisor.
Expected tasks and deliverables
- Supporting in the documentation of AAR programmes and initiatives at different levels and production of publications,
- Networking and representation of AAR whenever delegated by the communication officer or the Head of Programs and Policy,
- Support in Fundraising and Sponsorship activities to raise the CP’s profile by taking and profiling child photos,
- Management and updates of the AAR Website, Social media sites, among other AAR
- Support in writing, editing, and supervision of the production and dissemination of AAR publications, communication and information materials (e.g. newsletters, magazines, press releases, media and policy briefs, brochures, flyers, posters, videos, etc.)
- Assists in the production of audio and video productions.
- Support in compilation of significant stories of change and testimonies from rights holders (Women, children, youth and other people living in poverty), partners and other stakeholders of the programme.
- Support team in compilation of best practices/ success stories and case studies.
- Support in design, production and dissemination of the AAR Annual Reports, Progress Reports and Country Strategy Plan.
- Support in organising and co-facilitation of commemorations/anniversaries of International/Regional events at National, local and partner levels (e.g. International Women’s Day, 16 Days of Gender Activism, World Food Day, Rural Women’s Days, Day of African Child, World AIDS day, International Human Rights Day etc.)
- Support Fundraising, Sponsorship and Programme Teams, and AAR partners in writing and editing of Community Newsletters and production of reports.
Under the supervision of the Communications Officer, the Intern shall also work closely with the following teams:
- Head of Programmes, Programme staff, Fundraising and Sponsorship staff
- Rights Holders, Partner Staff, Board members and communities being served by the partners
- Resource Persons, Consultants and Facilitators appointed by AAR and partners
- Local and external Media.
- Local authorities, community leaders, Government Departments/Ministries, Parliamentarians, Politicians in areas or districts where AAR partners are operating and at National level.
- Other like-minded organizations including local and international NGOs and other civil society groups, UN and donor agencies.
Required qualification and experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree gained from a recognised College or University i.e. either in Mass Communications, Media studies, and/or Journalism.
- No experience required.
Other requirements and competences
- Strong command in oral and written English and Kinyarwanda as well as a working knowledge of French.
- High skills level in using different Computer software packages for producing various publications
- A flair for writing and finding good stories.
- Experience working with new media/web will be an added advantage.
- Interpersonal communication skills and proven skills in teamwork.
- Ability and willingness to work with people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Duration of internship
Six (6) months with possibility of extension to 1 year. At the end of the internship, the internee is expected to write an internship report and submit a copy to the Head of Programmes and Policy.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application letter and CV to [email protected] not later than 9th September 2020, at 5:00pm. Indicate in the subject line: Communications Intern. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
NB: Note that an intern is not a member of staff of Actionaid Rwanda and shall not be paid a salary but will earn a stipend as per existing internal policies.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and candidates will be expected to embody ActionAid’s values and adhere to organization policies including the Safeguarding Policy and the Child Protection Policy, among other ActionAid policies. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Done at Kigali on August 26, 2020.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com