Faculty on Gender and Reproductive health issues, for the Center for Gender Equity at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE): (Deadline 25 September 2020)
Faculty on Gender and Reproductive health issues, for the Center for Gender Equity
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) Butaro, Rwanda
Job Description for
Faculty member to teach Gender and Reproductive Health, Center for Gender Equity
University of Global Health Equity is on a mission to radically change the way health care is delivered around the world. UGHE is a new kind of university-based in Rwanda that is building the next generation of global health professionals—doctors, nurses, researchers, and public health and policy experts—into leaders and change-makers who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Center for Gender Equity at the University of Global Health Equity was launched in 2020 and is responsible for mainstreaming gender in UGHE’s academic, research, community engagement, and organizational development activities. The Center is also responsible for directing a Gender and Social Justice Course for UGHE’s Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Surgery program (MBBS), as well as other long- and short-term training on gender and global health issues including the Master of Global Health Delivery (MGHD) program.
The faculty member will be responsible for developing and assisting in the design, delivery, and evaluation of long and short courses/training to various stakeholders, including UGHE’s students in undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
Title: Faculty on Gender and Reproductive health issues, for the Center for Gender Equity
Reports to: Chair, Center for Gender Equity
Location: Butaro and Kigali, Rwanda
Role Purpose: Under the guidance of the Chair for the Center for Gender Equity, the faculty member will develop training and course syllabi, modules, and give trainings for MBBS, Masters students as well as UGHE’s executive training programs on gender and global health.
Curriculum Development and Teaching (60%)
- Prepare course outlines and course content on gender and reproductive health issues for the University of Global Health’s academic programs for students and staff
- Deliver training for students, faculty and other relevant stakeholders on gender, social justice, and sexual and reproductive health issues
- Grade students
Supervising and Mentoring (10%)
- Supervise and mentor UGHE’s junior staff in professional development, including but not limited to education and research on gender, global health and SRH
- Mentor and guide students through their learning as well as ongoing professional growth
Conduct and Collaborate on Research (20%)
- Engage/ collaborate in the Center’s research activities
- Undertake research leading to peer-reviewed publications focused on gender and global health issues
- Accompany and mentor student and alumni-driven global health research linked to their gender and global health
Organizational Development (10%)
- Collaborate with the Center’s Chair and other key personnel at UGHE to develop, implement and improve on plans for the Center for Gender Equity
- Engage in UGHE’s organizational reviews and processes, such as policy and strategy development activities
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven track record of academic experience (teaching and research)
- Five (5) (or more) years of teaching experience
- Ph.D. or MA degree in Gender Studies
- Confirmed work experience in Sexual and Reproductive Health and/or gender-related programs, with a minimum of 5 years of work experience in gender issues, including gender-related projects, gender mainstreaming, reproductive health projects, academic programs, advocacy, etc
- Experience working in an academic institution or in developing and delivering trainings for various stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation
- Ability to work both collaboratively and
- Commitment to gender equity and equality
- Commitment to working in a fast-paced environment
- Teaching using diverse pedagogical strategies
- Research skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
BENEFITS: As per UGHE’s salary scale
Applicants should provide (1) curriculum vitae, (2) graduate transcripts, (3) a list of relevant courses taught including the student profile, sample syllabi, and teaching evaluations.
University of Global Health Equity is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.