Lecturer, One Health at University of Global Health Equity (UGHE): (Deadline 28 August 2020)
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a groundbreaking health science university in Rwanda that trains global leaders to deliver high-quality health care. Owned and operated by Partners in Health, UGHE is a private institution that leverages expertise and resources from the Government of Rwanda, Harvard Medical School, and key partners to create a global forum for delivery-focused teaching, research, clinical care, and implementation.
The primary role of the Faculty member in One Health will be to work as a part of a team to contribute to teaching, research, and curriculum development support to the Center for One Health. The faculty will liaise closely with all departments at UGHE including Nursing and Midwifery, Gender Equity, Executive Education, Institute of Global Health, and School of Medicine teams at UGHE to develop and implement One Health training, research and community engagement. The Faculty member must have broad expertise in the fields that make up One Health including animal, environment, and human health. They will be required to conduct research and pursue external grant funding to advance One Health research at UGHE.
- Support One Health academic processes and programs related to research, curriculum, staff, faculty, and students;
- Provide general administrative support to the Center for One Health and represent UGHE at One Health meetings and events;
- Chair and participate in meetings for international One Health working groups; develop new and promote existing relationships with members of the working groups, other organizations, and scholars across the world;
- Support the creation of a UGHE One Health student club chapter;
- Support with the recruitment and mentoring of One Health students
- Support One Health research in partnership with UGHE students, faculty, and other institutional, government and academic partners;
- Mentor students completing One Health research projects through their practicum or other relevant research opportunities;
- Support with data collection and conducting qualitative and/or quantitative analyses, including data management;
- Support in writing project deliverables, such as protocols, reports, and publications;
- Conduct literature searches and reviews and support with ethics review submissions;
- Lead knowledge dissemination events with communities;
- Support the establishment of an interdisciplinary research team; and,
- Support resource mobilization for the One Health programming, including preparing grant applications to external funding sources, coordinating reporting to external funders, and managing financial approvals and other financial processes.
Curriculum Design & Teaching
- Support in the integration of One Health content throughout all of UGHE’s courses
- Use technical content to develop pre-class assignments, instruction sequences to guide course delivery, post-class assignments, and overall evaluation tools;
- Provide technical research to support content development;
- Prepare presentations and contribute to the development of scholarship and practical materials for the Center of One Health and the Master of Science in Global Health (MGHD) in One Health program;
- Teach in UGHE’s programs including modules in the MGHD in One Health;
- Lead student learning with local schools and post-secondary institutions;
- Liaise with and support students during class and office hours, identify supplementary academic materials and provide student feedback
- Master’s degree in the fields that make up One Health (i.e. human, animal or environmental health);
- Doctor of Medicine (MBBS equivalent) is recommended;
- Research experience (in undergraduate or graduate school);
- Basic understanding of research methods and practical knowledge of research implementation;
- Familiarity with qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis and related software including basic (Excel etc.) and advanced statistical (R, etc.) software;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Fluency in English;
- Experience working with adult learners and faculty;
- Experience working in Rwanda or in other relevant contexts;
- Ability to manage, organize, develop plans and generate data to make decisions;
- Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to effectively collaborate with culturally diverse staff across departments and countries;
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills, good judgment, and creative problem-solving; and,
- Proficient computer skills with fluency in Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Google Suite products, and learning management systems
How to apply
Applicants should provide: (1) a curriculum vitae and (2) a cover letter.
Please upload your cover letter and CV and proof of degrees attained as a single PDF file under “Additional Files” on the application page.