Vision Fund Rwanda
Vision Fund Rwanda
Senior Database administrator at Vision Fund Rwanda: (Deadline 8 September 2020)
Senior Database administrator
‘’Make a difference to thousands in the land of a thousand hills’’
VisionFund Rwanda (VFR), is Rwanda’s largest microfinance Institution.VFR is committed to the development of Rwanda by providing affordable financial services (savings and loans) to the less privileged throughout its 4zones in Rwanda.
VFR is the institution where you can develop your expertise working with the best people worldwide in a dynamic, team-focused high-performance environment. If you are looking for interesting but challenging work where you can make a difference in the world, then VFR has the will to make it so.
Senior Database Administrator
Directly reporting to Head of IT.
VFR needs to recruit an experienced and qualified Senior Database Administrator capable of managing and optimizing VFR application databases.
The expected Senior database administrator will be responsible for the installation, configuration, upgrading, administration, monitoring, maintenance, support, and security of databases in VFR. He will also be involved in the planning and development of the database as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users.
Detailed roles and responsibilities
The preferred candidate will perform the following roles and responsibilities:
- Controlling and monitoring user access to the database;
- Enrolling users in core banking systems in line with bank policy and maintaining system security;
- Backing up and restoring databases;
- Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to front-end users;
- Ensure systems and reporting structures provide appropriate portfolio and impact information and performance outputs to all levels of management;
- Investigate and analyze system imbalance and advise on the corrective action;
- Provide technical support to all branches and or various departments
- Apply licenses to banking systems when new licenses are acquired;
- Designing and writing of MIS reports as per the Banks requirements
- Perform data integrity checks on the banking systems
- Troubleshooting the banking system for known errors
- Coordinate the restoration of data from tapes to available databases for simulations, testing and troubleshooting
- Ensure that all appropriate databases are in reading mode only at the appropriate time
- Ensure that any impromptu public holidays are reflected in core banking application in good time
- Maintain an up-to-date reports catalog
- Simulate end of months, end of quarter/end of the year and generate simulation report
- Carrying out all the DBA activities in case it is offline
- Mapping out the conceptual design for a planned database;
- Considering both back-end organization of data and front-end accessibility for end-users;
- Allocating system storage and planning future storage requirements for the database system;
- Installing and testing new versions of the DBMS;
- Maintaining data standards, including adherence to the Data Protection;
- Writing database documentation, including data standards and procedures;
- Controlling access permissions and privileges;
- Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly;
- Online support for all digital channels
- Working closely with VFR IT team to ensure good collaboration;
- Communicating regularly with technical, applications and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security;
- commissioning and installing new applications and customizing existing applications in order to make them fit for purpose;
- Work closely with the Core Banking Vendor and consultants for new application integrity;
- Performs end financial activities (EOD, EOM, and EOY) regularly;
- Documenting and communicating database logs and errors to the Vendor;
- Generating various reports by querying from the database as per need;
- Performing assigned system administration related tasks;
- Managing and Monitoring Disaster Recovery replication;
- Any Other tasks assigned by his hierarchical supervisors.
- Knowledge of database theoretical concepts and design;
- Knowledge about the RDBMS systems especially Oracle Database;
- Knowledge of system reports design and development using crystal reports;
- Knowledge of structured query language (SQL) and Java programming;
- Knowledge of Oracle stored procedures, Functions, views and cursors
- General understanding of distributed computing architectures,
- General understanding of the underlying operating systems especially Linux and all Windows servers;
- General understanding of storage technologies, memory management, disk arrays, SAN Storage and networking;
- General understanding of routine maintenance, recovery, and oracle replication for business continuity;
- General knowledge of Banking and Business
- General knowledge in Accounting
- General knowledge in Digital Technology
- Be a Rwandese by Nationality;
- Have at least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology and any other related field;
- Having Oracle Professional certifications(OCA, OCP )
- Having Linux Professional certification(Red hat)
- Minimum of 4 Years as Oracle Database Administrator
- Having a minimum age of 30 years;
NB: knowledge of the use of the Orbit R Banking Application is an Added Advantage.
If you have the required qualifications and personal attributes; and are fluent in English/Kinyarwanda we are willing to offer you a very rewarding and exciting career.
If the position described above speaks to you, send us your application (Application letter + detailed CV) via email at [email protected] by or before 8th September 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
By sending in your application, you consent to VFR running a background check on