Senior Logistics Associate at World Food Program (WFP): (Deadline 14 October 2020)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
In Rwanda, WFP works in partnership with the Government and other stakeholders to support national priorities for achieving food and nutrition security. This is done through direct implementation of integrated programmes targeting the most vulnerable people and strengthening national capacity to design, implement, and manage programmes for achieving zero hunger. Under its Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), WFP’s support revolves around four strategic outcomes (SOs) as follows:
- Strategic Outcome 1 (SO1) is designed to ensure that refugees and returnees in Rwanda have access to adequate and nutritious food at all times.
- SO2 aims to ensure that vulnerable populations in food insecure communities and areas have improved access to adequate and nutritious foods all year.
- SO3 focuses on ensuring that children under 5 years, adolescents, and pregnant and lactating women in Rwanda have improved access to nutritious foods and services to meet their nutritional needs all year.
- SO4 targets smallholder farmers especially women and aims to provide opportunities for increased marketable surplus and access to the agricultural market through efficient supply chains by 2030.
This job is open in Kigali Country Office. The job holder will report to the Logistics Officer. At this level, the job holder has independent responsibility for technical, specialized work including planning, organization, and coordination, and setting objectives for all assistance modalities for both WFP and logistics common services. He deals with issues that are often undefined and involve areas of uncertainty and complex inter-relationships. The instructions received are broad and the job holder consistently demonstrates a high degree of responsibility and initiative to independently manage activities and respond to queries.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The Logistics Associate will be responsible for the following duties (not all-inclusive):
- Provide specialized support to logistics operations and activities, following standard processes and contributing, directly or indirectly, to the effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries.
- Coordinate requisitioning and ensure timely delivery of commodities and supplies to authorized partners and destinations
- Gather market intelligence, coordinate various assessments and produce relevant reports for management review
- Manage complex operational issues and provide solutions or recommendations related to all assistance modalities, using initiative and following processes, to ensure the provision of timely resolutions with excellent client service mind-set.
- Prepare, monitor, and revise the budget for all delivery modalities, ensuring adherence to relevant procedures and in compliance with corporate standards.
- Monitor inventory management processes to track trends and account for the inventory status from source/factory to various corridors.
- Conduct portions of financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights, and recommending actions to the supervisor to optimize the use of available funds.
- Collaborate with counterparts internally to ensure consistency in humanitarian information and to complement WFP analysis and information.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area. University degree in one of the following fields: Business Administration, Finance; Accounting; Information Management or any other related field is desired.
- Experience: At least five (5) years of practical experience in the field of Supply Chain or Finance
- Language Requirements: Fluency in both written and oral communication in English and/or Frenchwith a working knowledge of the other. Fluency in Kinyarwanda is essential.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve the team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues, and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team-building activities to build rapport in their own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within their own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in their own work and to help the team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors the team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to the team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Supply Chain Management and Optimization||Demonstrates the ability to design basic supply chain networks, including appropriately assessing and escalating challenges to ensure that WFP is able to provide consistent and uninterrupted service to its beneficiaries and partners.|
|Planning, Project & Resource Management||Collects and analyses relevant technical data from diverse sources to forecast operational needs under various scenarios and makes evidence-based proposals.|
|Information Management & Reporting||Liaises with internal and external stakeholders to consolidate preliminary data analysis, draft reports, and disseminate information that represents concerns and trends.|
|Market Analysis, Contracting, and Operational Execution||Demonstrates the ability to collect market information and process and analyze proposals in line with WFP standard rules and regulations in order to deliver efficiently.|
|Warehouse and Inventory Management||Demonstrates the ability to implement operational warehouse procedures and normative guidance in order to manage WFP’s warehouse, handle inventory effectively through corporate systems, and ensure loss mitigation.|
|Technical Assistance and Coordination||Demonstrates abilities to provide basic technical advice and maintain effective (inclusive, collaborative, unified) logistics coordination mechanisms with humanitarian partners and other relevant stakeholders.|
DESIRED Skills FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience coordinating with transportation providers and third parties.
- Experience leading a team of national staff.
- Experience assisting in project management.
- Experience in preparing and managing budgets.
- Proven fieldwork experience with the UN/Government agencies or NGOs. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing administration will be an asset.
- Experience in conducting trainings on food quality management and commodity management
- Sound knowledge of MS Office software including MS WORD, EXCEL, and POWERPOINT
- Good analytical skills; resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment, tact, negotiating skills; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This position is open for one year with the possibility of renewal, depending on fund availability and satisfactory performance.
- WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP. http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline for receiving applications is 14 October 2020.
This position is open to both, female and male candidates. Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.