WASH Planning and Design Engineer at Lifewater International
As a part of the Vision of a Healthy Village (VHV) program, the WASH Planning and Design Engineer is responsible for supervising and coordinating the program technical staff to ensure that all hardware planning, design, and construction is completed on time, within budget, and at a high level of quality. He/she works closely with program, country, and HQ leadership to ensure the most appropriate hardware is selected for each project community, school, and health facility, and that all constructed systems meet Lifewater hardware standards. He/she accomplishes this by overseeing the assessment of all existing community and school WASH hardware, supporting the development of a multi-year hardware plan, updating or creating technical designs for unique systems, supporting construction and procurement planning, reviewing and suggesting improvements to constructed hardware, and documenting construction through Lifewater’s Akvo system. His/her accurate, detailed, and excellent planning and execution enables the program to operate with efficiency and provide high-quality, cost-effective solutions to communities.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Play a lead role in all hardware planning using Lifewater’s Uganda Hardware Planning Process and standards, working in collaboration with program team members, the Director of Engineering Operations (DEO), and the HQ WASH Engineer. Use appropriate AKVO forms for all registrations and assessments of hardware.
- Coordinate program technical team to identify, register, and assess existing WASH hardware assets in project communities, primary schools, and health facilities, reviewing the data to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Coordinate program technical team to identify new hardware required to meet Lifewater standards in project communities, primary schools, and health facilities, and propose appropriate solutions.
- Recommend appropriate hardware and implementation timelines for each project community, primary school, and health facility in collaboration with the APM, DEO, and HQ WASH Engineer.
- With support and guidance from the DEO and HQ WASH Engineer, ensure all the planned hardware will meet Lifewater and government standards.
Facilitate and ensure quality hardware construction
- With support and guidance from the DEO and HQ WASH Engineer, prepare approved technical designs, detailed bills of quantities (BoQs), and procurement plans for proposed water supply systems, latrines, and handwashing facilities.
- Prepare detailed, accurate contract drafts for planned hardware in support of the procurement process.
- Ensure technical program staff are equipped with technical designs, detailed instructions, and in-person coaching needed to supervise construction of planned hardware.
- Coordinate contract execution with contractors and ensure that all contracted work is supervised by a qualified member of the technical team.
- Perform spot checks during construction and review completed hardware before Akvo form submission to ensure that designs are constructed as planned.
- Proactively provide recommendations to management, based on field learnings, to continually increase the quality of constructed hardware while reducing costs and saving time.
- Coordinate hardware planning and implementation with appropriate district water, health, and education officials.
- Maintain an inventory of all program construction equipment and tools and ensure their proper care.
Support Lifewater’s ‘software first’ approach
- Coordinate with the Sanitation and Hygiene Coordinator (SHC) and Officers (SHOs) to ensure a “software first” methodology is applied before constructing water systems, meaning that communities, water committees, and schools have met all pre-requisites before construction begins.
- Use participatory approaches whenever possible throughout the program cycle, particularly in review of possible water and sanitation solutions, and identify the best options for each community, school, and health facility.
Support internal and external reporting
- Coordinate with the technical team to ensure all required Akvo surveys are completed at appropriate times with minimal errors.
- Support the APM in preparing reports for appropriate government bodies about water points, latrines, and associated water quality testing and monitoring data.
- Submit 15/5 weekly reports and timesheets to APM.
- Participate in weekly one-on-one supervision meetings with APM.
- Participate in regular staff meeting and Skype calls.
- Complete any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
KEY INDICATORS OF SUCCESS:
- 100% of constructed latrine blocks and water points meet Lifewater technical standards
- 100% of unique system designs completed in time for planned construction
- 90% of constructed hardware requires no rectification work within 6 months
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A degree in one of the following fields: Water Engineering; Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Sanitation Engineering, Construction Management, or related engineering field.
- Additional training in engineering design software (Excel, AutoCAD, ArcGIS, EPANET), surveying, borehole drilling, water quality testing, and supervision of contractors is preferred.
- 5 years of experience in WASH hardware planning, design, and implementation in a rural setting is required.
- Substantial experience using smart phones and computers is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and with teams to produce high-quality results in a multi-cultural setting is required.
PERSONAL SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
- Committed Christian, active in a local church
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of Lifewater International
- Critical and creative thinker with an eye for detail and opportunities for improvement
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments
- Honest and dependable in all areas, including finances
- Strong desire to work in and serve rural communities
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org