Legal Affairs Specialist at Ministry of health: (Deadline 23 September 2021)
1. Develop legal and regulatory instruments of the institution
• Drafting the legal texts regarding the institution and deliver legal opinions argued on the texts of laws, instructions, regulations and procedures
• Collect, preserve decisions carrying jurisprudence as regarding appeal interesting the institution, and establish the documentation interesting the institutions in legal matters, and inform regularly the services concerned
• Propose justified amendments of legal texts in order to improve quality of services and/or to facilitate reaching objectives determined by the Institution
• Produce information memoranda for users on the decisions of authorities.
2. Provide legal advice/opinion on litigious files engaging the Ministry and in the interest of this Institution
• Deal with legal issues, providing legal advice on contractual, staff, financial and institutional matters to ensure their compliance with applicable laws, instructions, regulations and procedures
• Prepare model contracts and decisions to be adopted and used by the institution
• Propose necessary amendments to contracts and agreements to avoid possible misinterpretation in support of the best interests of the institution
• Facilitate the interpretation of applicable laws, instructions, regulations and procedures
• Monitor the implementation of applicable laws, instructions, regulations and procedures
• Analyze contentious files and/or requests emanating from users or agents of the institution
• Propose solutions with competent authorities
3. Liaise with the Ministry of Justice and other Institutions in legal matters
• Work closely with other Institutions including the Office of Attorney General by providing necessary information on legal issues involving the institution.
• Represent the institution before the court in case he/she is entitled to do so.
• Attend regular coordination and validation meetings organized by the Ministry of Justice and other Institutions.
4. Conduct legal research
• Carry out legal research and highlight potential problems that may engage the liability of the institution.
• Propose new amendments and revision of existing legal instruments related to the mission and mandate of the institution.
• Initiate new legal instrument drafting if necessary.
Bachelor’s Degree in Law with Diploma in Legal Practice
Bachelor’s Degree in Law with Diploma in Legislative Drafting
Master’s Degree in Criminal Law with Diploma in Legal Practice or a Diploma in Legislative Drafting.
Competency and Key Technical Skills
Strong critical thinking skills and excellent problem solving skills.
Commitment to continuous learning
Capacity for legal research and analysis in complex areas of law
Knowledge of substantive law and legal procedures
Experience in legal advisory
Experience in legal drafting and negotiation
Knowledge in civil litigation management
Knowledge in legal research and analysis in various areas of law
Analytical and problem-solving skills
Possession of capacity of research and analysis in complex areas of law
Resource management skills
Time management skills
Risk management skills
Digital literacy skills
Fluency in Kinyarwanda, English and/or French. Knowledge of all is an added advantage