LSHTM 2022 Planetary Health Postdoctoral Fellowship for African Scholars: (Deadline 31 May 2022)
The Medical Research Council Unit The Gambia (MRCG) at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) are pleased to announce an interdisciplinary two-year Fellowship in Planetary Heath. The Fellowship is supported by The Peter Piot fellowship programme through funding for the Centre on Climate Change and Planetary Health (CCCPH) at the LSHTM. The Fellowship funding will be awarded for research that can improve understanding and capacity to prepare for and respond to environmental change and its health impacts in Africa, including climate change, land use change and urbanization. The Planetary Health program will seek to foster the professional development of a new generation of specialists to understand the health impacts of environmental change.
The two-year Fellowship will give an early career researcher the freedom to pursue novel research in the field of planetary health, including climate change and the implications of land use change, environmental destruction and degradation, and the evaluation of policies and measures to address these risks. The fellow will be able to work with world-class LSHTM faculty, including at MRC Units, from a broad range of disciplines including epidemiology, health systems, mathematical modelling, data science, diagnostics, social science, anthropology, clinical research and more. Based on their research interests, applicants are asked to submit a research proposal as part of the application. Applicants should identify a location for the research, and, if relevant, a collaborating African institution.
About London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
Founded in 1899 at the London Docks, LSHTM is now based in Bloomsbury, where it has two main sites at Keppel Street and Tavistock Place, and additional sites in The Gambia and Uganda. Today, our staff, students and alumni work in government, academia, international agencies and health services across the world. Learn more about the history of LSHTM.
Planetary Health Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Type Fellowship
- Organization London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Country to study Gambia, Uganda
- School to study–
- Course to study Not specified
- State of Origin
- Gender Men and Women
- Application Deadline May 31, 2022
Aim and Benefits of Planetary Health Postdoctoral Fellowship
The fellow will receive a competitive research fellowship stipend of £25,000 per annum at either Gambia or Uganda. In addition, the fellowship will pay for the fellow’s accommodation, annual holiday airfares and contribution to children’s school fees. They will also receive a modest research budget. Relocation and visa support will also be available for international applicants.
Requirements for Planetary Health Postdoctoral Fellowship Qualification
Applications from individuals based at LMICs research institutions are strongly encouraged. Proficiency in the English language is a requirement for the Fellowship. Applications will be assessed on submitted documents and scored against the following criteria:
- Completed PhD degree within the last 3 years. We will accept applications from candidates who are confident that they will complete their PhD by 1 September 2022. Fellowships will only be awarded to people who have completed their PhDs.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in research on the links between health and environmental change.
- Ability to conduct a research project relating to environmental change and health that is of high scientific quality and has potential to make a clear impact on human health and that is deliverable within the duration of the Fellowship programme.
- Clear route for Fellowship work to benefit communities disproportionately affected by environmental change and/or traditionally under-served or under-resourced in adaptation or mitigation response measures.
- Potential for the project to generate novel interdisciplinary insights or methodology.
- Clear plan for the Fellowship to contribute to career development.
- Potential for the project to deliver a positive impact that lasts beyond the end of the Fellowship.
May 31, 2022
How to Apply
This is a two-stage application process with the following timelines Stage 1: Interested applicants are invited to submit:
- CV including summary of key outputs and publications (maximum 3 pages)
- Personal statement (maximum 1 page) outlining career goals and reasons for applying
- An outline of a proposed research project to be conducted during the Fellowship (maximum 1 page)
Applications at Stage 1 will be shortlisted by a multi-disciplinary search committee and a shortlist of applicants will be invited to submit full applications in Stage 2.
Stage 2: Shortlisted applicants must submit:
- Preference for location to conduct the study
- List of two Faculty at LSHTM (either in London or at the MRC Units in Gambia and Uganda) they would be working with.
- Two letters of recommendation preferably from previous academic supervisors.
- An update of the outline proposal presented in stage one (details will be provided after stage 1 selections)
- The Stage 1 application deadline is 31st May 2022. Stage 1 applicants will be notified if they are invited to proceed to Stage 2 by 30th June 2022.
- Stage 2 applications will be interviewed either face-to-face or “virtual” in July/August 2022.
- Fellowship offers will be made to successful candidates in September 2022.
- The Fellowship start-date will be flexible, but the fellow should be in post by 1st January 2023.
For more details, visit LSHTM website.
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: email@example.com and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.