Internship at Ni Nyampinga Journalism Intern – Girl Effect; duration: 6 months: (Deadline 12 March 2020 )
Who We Are
Girl Effect builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives
We’re a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in the places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create for young people in ways they love and interact with. And it’s all delivered through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Context of Role
Are you a creative storyteller who is curious about the world around you? Do you have basic skills in journalism and/or media? If this sounds like you, then this is the time to apply for the Ni Nyampinga Journalism internship. During a period of six months, you will undertake an internship while working alongside Ni Nyampinga editorial team in radio, magazine, and digital content production.
What You’ll Do
- Engage in editorial meetings by contributing ideas, identifying potential stories and sources
that make an inspiring story for Ni Nyampinga radio, magazine and digital platforms
- Undertake field reporting to record interviews
- Write pieces for Ni Nyampinga Magazine and digital platforms
- Write radio scripts, record and edit packages for Ni Nyampinga radio show
Who You Are
- You must be a young woman between the ages of 18 and 24
- You must be a current undergraduate/graduate student in Journalism, or Mass Media and
- Communication or a high school graduate with basic Journalism skills
- You must have a good working knowledge of English and Kinyarwanda, both oral and
- Basic skills in audio editing, interviewing techniques and magazine article writing is
What Else You Should Know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
This is a paid program. You will be provided with a stipend on a monthly basis for the duration of your internship to cover expenses such as transport to and from work, meals, and communication.
Internship duration: 6 months
Closing date for applications: 12th March 2020