Safe Surgery Technical Advisor at IntraHealth: (Deadline 31 October 2021)
Job Opportunity : Safe Surgery Technical Advisor
Why Choose IntraHealth
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work. Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we have built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective. Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.
The USAID-funded Momentum Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetric (MSSFPO) Activity is a five-year global cooperative agreement with USAID, which aims to increase the capacity of host country institutions and local organizations to strengthen surgical safety within maternal health and family planning programs by promoting evidence-based approaches and testing new innovations. In Rwanda, through the USAID-funded Ingobyi Activity, MSSFPO will support the Government of Rwanda to accelerate reductions in maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity by increasing the capacity of the Rwandan health system to introduce, deliver, scale up, and sustain the use of evidence-based, high-quality interventions for the provision of safe emergency surgical obstetric services, including caesarian delivery (CD) and hysterectomy, and difficult removal of long-acting reversible contraceptives.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
IntraHealth seeks a Safe Surgery Technical Advisor, to be based in Kigali, who will provide technical and program support in maternal health and family planning for the MSSFPO . Reporting to the MH Advisor, the Safe Surgery Technical Advisor will coordinate safe surgery activities in family planning and obstetrics in all hospitals in supported districts.
The Safe Surgery Technical Advisor will work under the direct supervision of the Maternal Health Advisor to design and implement activities to strengthen safe obstetric surgical care provision, availability, and quality of LARCs and PMs and systems for developing health care workers’ capacity to provide these services. The Safe surgery Technical Advisor will work in partnership with the Ministry of Health, aligning all project efforts to the costed National Surgical, Obstetrics, and Anesthesia Plan (NSOAP, 2018-2024), national MNCH quality of care standards, and other relevant national strategies and guidelines. S/he will coordinate and consult with other stakeholders, including the Rwanda Biomedical Center (RBC), academic institutions, district representatives, civil society organizations, medical professional associations, and existing development partners and projects to ensure the relevance and utility of project activities. S/he will also ensure that gender, youth, and social inclusion (GYSI) are embedded into project interventions.
The Safe Surgery Technical Advisor will be responsible for the following functions:
- Contribute to capacity building of medical doctors in supported health facilities through mentoring on surgical obstetric care, including safe and indicated Cesarean Delivery (CD), peripartum hysterectomy, obstetric and iatrogenic fistula prevention and treatment, long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARCs), and permanent methods (PMs);
- Provide technical expertise and guidance in the development/updating of national policies, strategies, protocols, and guidelines related to safe surgical obstetric care as well as long-acting reversible and permanent methods of contraception;
- Contribute to the development of an induction course to equip health care providers involved in obstetrical surgery with practical safe surgery obstetrical skills in hospitals supported by MSSFPO;
- Support the development and roll-out of family-centered approach in supported facilities for use by health providers to guide companions of choice on how to support women, identify and report danger signs during pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postnatal period;
- Organize and conduct facility level supportive supervision visits in the Health Facilities with highest maternal deaths and near misses to strengthen service organization with a focus on days and times when most maternal deaths occur (MH);
- Contribute to the training of hospital safe surgery core team on quality improvement and leadership;
- Contribute to the establishment and support the functionality of a safe surgery core team in supported hospitals, and strengthen its leadership and capacity to plan, implement and coordinate tasks related to safe surgery, including emergency preparedness;
- Lead the assessment of training and service delivery needs in provision of safe obstetric surgical care (specifically indicated caesarean delivery, peripartum hysterectomy, obstetric fistula –surgical as well as anesthetic needs) at supported facilities, and in the design and implementation of appropriate, evidence-based interventions to meet them;
- Lead the assessment of training and service delivery /outreach needs in provision of long-acting reversible and permanent methods of contraception (surgical as well as anesthetic needs) at the supported health facilities and in the design and implementation of appropriate, evidence-based interventions to meet them;
- Assist in the development and implementation of national and project-relevant training programs, including development of materials, curricula, and assessment tools;
- Identify opportunities for systematizing and institutionalizing capacity-building efforts on safe surgery in obstetrics and family planning for MD/GPs and MD/residents, whether in the in-service or pre-deployment settings, and design and implement activities to support these processes;
- Support identification of equipment needs for provision of safe obstetric surgical care and long-acting reversible and permanent methods of contraception, and advise on specifications for any necessary procurement; and
- Conduct facilitative supervision to health facilities where the MSSFPO activity is being implemented and follow up as necessary on supervision findings
- Coordinate the implementation of safe obstetric surgical care provision, availability and quality of LARCs and PMs in MSSFPO supported health facilities;
- Actively participate in relevant national maternal health policy and strategy discussions as appropriate;
- Work closely with Ingobyi staff as well as other USG-funded partners, as relevant, to ensure program efforts are complementary and non-duplicative;
- Coordinate with Ingobyi Activity’s maternal health team, the national MNCH Technical Working Group (TWG), and Safe Motherhood sub-TWG at national level to ensure project activities are managed effectively as per the NSOAP, national quality of care guidelines, and other national frameworks, as appropriate; and
- Participate in the national Safe Motherhood TWG, share project learnings, and incorporate group feedback into future activities.
Monitoring and reporting
- In partnership with the IntraHealth MEL team, document and report progress on project activities with regard to safe obstetric surgical care and long-acting reversible and permanent methods of contraception to national and district leadership and other stakeholders;
- Contribute to monitoring, evaluation, developing indicators, benchmarking, analysis of lessons learned, and reporting in a timely manner to the donor and to other audiences as requested; and
- Support data use on safe surgery through presentations, sharing of lessons in different fora including TWGs, coordination meetings and global community of practices
Life of the project with the possibility of renewal subject to performance and availability of funding.
The ideal candidate is expected to meet and or possess the following qualifications and requirements.
Education and training
- Medical degree and specialization in obstetrics and gynecology is required.
- Additional MPH training preferred; and
- Candidates must have a valid license issued by Rwanda Medical and Dental Council.
Experience and skills
- At least 8 years of experience in maternal health service delivery: labor/delivery, surgical obstetric care , including safe and indicated Cesarean Delivery (CD), peripartum hysterectomy; obstetric and iatrogenic fistula prevention and treatment; long-acting reversible contraceptives (LARCs), and permanent methods (PMs);
- At least 3 years of experience as mentor/ trainer in maternal health service delivery, surgical skills preferred – excellent classroom and clinical training skills including participatory and experiential methods;
- Current knowledge of high-impact practices in the fields of safe obstetric surgical care and long-acting reversible and permanent methods of contraception;
- Sound understanding of current policy developments related to maternal health;
- Extensive experience in developing, implementing, and evaluating maternal health policies, procedures, and tools in Rwanda or similar contexts;
- Hands-on skills in rapid assessment techniques, knowledge, and skills in designing, planning, implementing, and monitoring facility-based maternal health interventions;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills, and an ability to work effectively in multicultural environment;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and Kinyarwanda – French language skills would be added advantage;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint;
- Strong skills in teamwork and networking;
- Solid skills in documentation and report writing; and
- Ability to travel frequently within the country.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Willingness and ability to travel within and outside of Kigali, and to work independently with all stakeholders;
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities; and
- Willingness to work overtime whenever required.
Managing Performance: Ability to plan and design practices, processes, and procedures that allow for effective management of people, resources, and processes to optimize overall organizational performance. Managing for performance includes the ability to delegate and encourage growth and leadership across the team(s) as part of maximizing performance and productivity.
Strategic Thinking: Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization- and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Effective Communication (Oral & Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors
Risk Management: Knowledge of processes, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling the organization’s exposure to risks of various kinds; ability to apply this knowledge appropriately to diverse situations.
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within assigned role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
SUMMARY OF BENEFITS
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Learn more about IntraHealth Careers @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
Please apply by October 31, 2021. Shortlisting and interviews will be done on rolling basis until the position is filled. Only applicants fulfilling the above requirements will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks from the submission, consider your application unsuccessful.
Terms and Conditions
Please Note: that All Jobs and Opportunities Published on mucuruzi.com are completely free to apply. A candidate should never pay any fee during the recruitment Process. Even if mucuruzi.com does its best to avoid any scam job or opportunity offer, a job seeker or an opportunity seeker is 100% responsible of applying at his own risk.
Check well before applying, if you doubt about the eligibility of any offer do not apply and notifie to mucuruzi.com via this email: firstname.lastname@example.org and remember to never pay any fee to have a job or get any opportunity, if you do so, do it at your own risk.